Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have practice of using Mo'Joe through Line6 PODxt Live to get metal sound?

I have success with it and i like the tone but when i compare my tone to another guitarist of our band i hear that i don't have enough gain (distortion). But if i distort too much to match the level it's getting too muddy.

My setup is RG1570 (basswood), Mo'Joe in bridge and Line6 PODxt Live.
Amps used are Line6 Hi-Gain, Bomber Uber and Diamond Plate.

Actually i need it for home recording but i like too gig with it at band practices. That's why i try to get a live tone through it. I know that Mo'Joe (seems like) has not enough gain for Metal sounds (i need a dry rhythm sound). But i like the tone. It's exactly the one i need.

I need a workaround to higher my gain level without adding too much mud, cause i need a "dry" rhythm sound.

Any options?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm going to say right now before everyone else that you probably don't need as much gain as you think. What you have now is probably enough for rhythms.

That being said, I know what you mean. You can always fiddle with your bass to try and get it less muddy, and you can compromise between the level of gain you want and the gain you already have. Or you can just be louder than your band mate, and then it won't matter if he has more gain :grin:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, i also thought about the volume. I'll test it today. Cause when i play alone it seems like there's enough distortion, even more than i need but when we play together... I thought may be some realtime volume tweaking would help also.

But i'm not sure if X3's presets will work with my XT.

Thanks anyway :)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You might want to move your email address off to PM. Not saying that we have spammers here on the site, but there are a few posts now and then that tend to indicate so.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you have the metal pack for the POD XT Live?
I could upload my metal modelled sounds here but they are based on the "Line 6 Big Bottom" (!!) which is only available as an amp in the extra metal pack.

I found the emulation for powerball, mesa (diamond plate) you mentioned pretty crap in the default amps they give you with the unit. The "Big Bottom" amp I mentioned seemed to be good for drive without having the annoying fizz and hiss that seems to get added in droves for anything that models engl or mesa. I guess their emulation in the default pack just isn't up to much.

Like people said before though, depending on the environment you are playing in too much gain is never a good thing, especially for a band situation. Less gain and more tone! :D

Oh and just as a small side note that I'll add, if you are hitting on too much "mud" sound, try the following:

Decrease the bass in the emulation
Decrease the bass on the amp
Up the mids on the amp and the pod
Up the treble a little until you are happy.

Use the EQ feature on the POD, take out a little bottom end, say 200K and add +1 units of gain around the 1k - 6k spectrum.

This should help the mids cut through for tone instead of just filling up your mix with hiss from excessive gain and bass you don't need.
So many bands I see that use 7 string guitars fall for this problem filling up their mix with tonnes of gain and bass until the point you can't actually hear the guitars due to clashing with the drums/bass and a massive high end hiss and fizz due to gain / presence.
Guitars are mid range instruments!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have the metal pack for the POD XT Live?
I could upload my metal modelled sounds here but they are based on the "Line 6 Big Bottom" (!!) which is only available as an amp in the extra metal pack.

I found the emulation for powerball, mesa (diamond plate) you mentioned pretty crap in the default amps they give you with the unit. The "Big Bottom" amp I mentioned seemed to be good for drive without having the annoying fizz and hiss that seems to get added in droves for anything that models engl or mesa. I guess their emulation in the default pack just isn't up to much.

Like people said before though, depending on the environment you are playing in too much gain is never a good thing, especially for a band situation. Less gain and more tone! :D

Oh and just as a small side note that I'll add, if you are hitting on too much "mud" sound, try the following:

Decrease the bass in the emulation
Decrease the bass on the amp
Up the mids on the amp and the pod
Up the treble a little until you are happy.

Use the EQ feature on the POD, take out a little bottom end, say 200K and add +1 units of gain around the 1k - 6k spectrum.

This should help the mids cut through for tone instead of just filling up your mix with hiss from excessive gain and bass you don't need.
So many bands I see that use 7 string guitars fall for this problem filling up their mix with tonnes of gain and bass until the point you can't actually hear the guitars due to clashing with the drums/bass and a massive high end hiss and fizz due to gain / presence.
Guitars are mid range instruments!

Hope this helps.
I've sent you my e-mail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts