Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got an Ibanez RG721FM and I'm looking to re-fit the stock pickups. Unfortunately the CAP-VM's aren't doing it tone wise and I need something with a bit more bite and chunk.

The guitar is a basswood body and rosewood neck. It is set to Drop B and runs into a Peavey 6505+ and Mesa 4X12 cab.

The sound I'm looking to base around is between Killswitch Engage and Bring Me The Horizon. A bridge pickup that's great for lead work but can hold a breakdown together, and a neck pickup that songs for solos would be great.

I'm open to all brands and actives. Any help on my problem would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used to have a serious love affair with the D-Sonic and the D-Activator for stuff like that until the Dominion came out. It's fantastic, really.

But I do have to put in some love for Bareknuckle Miracle Man and Cold Sweat sets. I thought Bareknuckles were all hype until I tried them and they are really nice pickups. It's up to you to decided if the considerable up charge is worth it or not. A set of Dimarzio pickups is around the cost of just one BKP.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
DiMarzio Dominion, although the bridge can potentially get a bit too naselly when soloing high up the fretboard.

DiMarzio Titan set is brilliant too, a little less resistance, and not as strong mid-range.

Seymour Duncan Custom is chunk city, and probably the perfect selection. Great for leads all over too. Full Shred neck will rock with this too.

Seymour Duncan Black Winters are brilliant too. They will be perfect too. Chunk and sizzle, and extremely versatile, a lot more than you may think at first.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
A LOT of metalcore guys I've interviewed recently are using the Black Winter. Like, almost every single one I've spoken to in the last six months has that set in at least one guitar, even a few EMG guys.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to have a serious love affair with the D-Sonic and the D-Activator for stuff like that until the Dominion came out. It's fantastic, really.

But I do have to put in some love for Bareknuckle Miracle Man and Cold Sweat sets. I thought Bareknuckles were all hype until I tried them and they are really nice pickups. It's up to you to decided if the considerable up charge is worth it or not. A set of Dimarzio pickups is around the cost of just one BKP.
BKPs are the shiznits. I haven't been able to bring myself to pay that type of $$$ for a set of pickups yet, but I've played on a few sets before, and they definitely live up to the hype. The most articulate, balanced, and powerful pickups I've every played through.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
This video can be an eye opener on some of Duncans "older" pickups when used in dropped tunings....... The dimebucker and the JB both surprised me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am not a very big fan of SD pickups but if I had to make a guitar dedicated to metal I would try the alternative8. Seems relatively well scooped in middle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts