Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been posting here and there trying to narrow down my search and so far you've all been a really helpfull bunch, so big thanks all round.

Finaly I'm in the position to shell out big bucks, having a decent job at last.
I've previously owned 550's and 1570's with pafs, evo's, tone zones and d sonics, all of which i loved but now I'm looking to buy something a little more special.

Initialy I thought to by a UV, love the tone and the flatness of the neck, 7 strings confused me a little at first mind.
Then there is the Jem 77v, gorgeous looking, love what i hear about the breeds but haven't had a chance to play it.
And finaly there is the RG8320 J Custom and the prestige RG3270.
I play shred, fusion, metal and love thin and super flat necks, pafs have been my fave pup of choice so far.

So here's everyones chance to have their pennys worth about all these different models, and hopefully in a couple of weeks i'll have some pics to show off to you all of my new guitar.

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, they are lovely pups, not played em myself unfortunately but have heard em and I like muchly.
Little more input needed tho lol.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wow, I thought most guitarists have their next "I can't afford it now, but as soon as I can, I'm going to buy a" guitar picked out long in advance. For me it's an Artcore.

Good luck and remember NAMM is only a month away!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I guess I've been comfortable playing what I play but i was suddenly granted the oppertunity to upgrade and treat myself :)
Shame I live in the UK or I'd be NAMMin it up, unless it visits us here ?

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Everyone has their own personal taste in tone, and their own style of playing which is favored by certain guitars, pickups, woods, amps, picks etc. Take advice lightly. What works for one person may not work for you. You are ready to dump a respectably amount of money on a fine instrument. Some of the best advice you can get is from Rich. I recommend you deal with Rich on your new guitar. You won't get a better setup anywhere else, and you wont get a more honest conversation with a 'dealer'. If you are buying local, check their return policy, and make them aware that you may very well use it. It's hard to get the feel for a guitar in the music store. But one thing is for sure, if it doesn't have at least VERY good tone to begin with, pups wont help. Pups change the tone, but not all expensive guitars have great tone. Some guitars have sweet mojo, some just don't and it can't always be soldered in.

Hope it works out for ya.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the wise words Darin.
Of course one mans trash is anothers treasure etc, I've somewhat limited my selection and am looking from imput into the choices I'm left with.
I won't let peoples opinions directly influence me, but you know the more information you can get the better.
I'd love to deal with Rich, however, I'm buying on finance.
I have a good job going now, but to save up for a new guitar will take a very, very long time and currently I'm without guitar all together (long story,not fun) so am taking out a deal with GAK on finance.
So this limits me to GAK's stock.
However, if I was to buy say a JEM 77v I could easily sell it as new and try for the JPM I've always wanted from Rich ;)
Cheers again.

·
Vendor
26,378 Posts
Be careful. Most store credit deals are no better than borrowing from a shylark. Expect 24-28% rates [like my local store and the NAMM buyers credit program].

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Well, then the only thing I can say is that I played a JEM in a Guitar Center (sitting on a stand in the middle of the floor right next to a $2900 PRS and a $2400 Les Paul, a shocker of a sight).

And I actually liked the neck on my RG550MXXRF better. The JEM neck felt thicker and I didn't like the volute. So if you love "thin and super flat" necks, you really should try and get your hands on an anniversary model. Don't know if GAK has any but since these are the only guitars I can speak about, there's my two pence for ya.

My comment about NAMM is to simply make the point that new models will be coming out soon, and it might do you well to wait a month.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
But one thing is for sure, if it doesn't have at least VERY good tone to begin with, pups wont help. Pups change the tone, but not all expensive guitars have great tone. Some guitars have sweet mojo, some just don't and it can't always be soldered in.
+10000 Very good advice.

Tobi, do you have to go the Ibanez route?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have to go Ibanez, but I've grown to love them over the years and feel at home with their build and tone, I'm not adverse to other brands however as I have used ESP in the past.
The interest rates are fairly reasonable and I have the option to pay off in 6 months anyway so I shouldn't be paying too much more than necessary.
It's a case of having to really, waiting 6 months plus to raise the funds is a nightmarish thought, I couldn't be without a guitar for that long.
I just had another play with the UV, sublime guitar, I'm going to try out the 77v and hopefully a J custom soon though.
Thanks again everyone, there should be a jemsite support line for indecisive people like myself

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Some guitars have sweet mojo, some just don't and it can't always be soldered in.

Hope it works out for ya.
i agree, but i'd also say, you can solder in BAD tone(or tone that is not to your personal tastes) on a guitar with natural 'good tone'... which would logically mean that on some guitars, changing the pups out really can give you great tone or the tone you prefer..
which means unfortunately it can be really hard to tell in certain cases esp' of high end instruments (like the jem) if it's the guitar or the pups you don't like..

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
. . .
Thanks again everyone, there should be a jemsite support line for indecisive people like myself
Ha ha, we all are each others' support when we are suffering from GAS . . . my non guitarist friends ask things like, "why do you need another guitar?" and "can you afford another guitar?" When of course, none of these things matter as much as the fretboard radius, scale length, pickups, wood, and on and on and so forth . . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, so true. It's nice to come to a forum full of people actualy telling you it's a good idea to get that next guitar :) My family simply don't understand it.
After further research it's down to a UV or Jem 77v, still haven't had a chance to play the Jem but after fondling the UV it sure is tasty.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
For the music you're into playing and the guitars you list i'd say get the UV (or a 7 string of some sort).:)

I am biased slightly as i play 7's myself (although i still play my Parker Fly Deluxe as much as any of my 7's) but once you get used to a 7 you'll wonder why you even had to think about it.
Another superb 7 to get that would suit you is the Musicman JP7 (Petrucci Model). They're awesome guitars,beautiful necks,great non-locking trouble free trems and you can buy the 7 with a Piezo option.
I've got an Ibanez Prestige RG2027xvv which was the only regular production Ibanez 7 that had a full on LoPro Edge trem equipped with Piezos.
It's still one of the best 7's i've ever played and i'd suggest gettingone of those if it wasn't for the fact that they're not easy to get hold of,at all. They were only made for a Year.
I'd also advise you to buy a used guitar. As long as you buy carefully you'll get far more guitar for your money that way.It'll also be played in nicely and a lot of used guitars come with upgraded pickups.
There's some absolute steals on E bay at the moment with people needing cash for Christmas and stuff.

Anyway,take your time and get what you reall want and most of all......................enjoy! ;)

·
Banned
544 Posts
And what is your rate after the promo period?

They all make their money in the end.
First of all, let me just say.... I encourage EVERYONE to buy a new guitar from you. Your reputation is outstanding.

As for your question, I'm not sure what the interest rate is after the promotion because it's going to be paid WAY before the 12 months is up. And, even if there is a little bit left over, it will be transferred to another card with low interest. I would imagine the regular rate is somewhere in the 20's, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts