Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running a Digi 002 rack, and it has built in mic pre's. I've been running my E609 directly into my 002. Could someone explain to me the benefits of having a seperate rack mountable mic pre like the Avalon 2022? Is it nessecary to have something like that with my 002? Any info will help..

Thanks in advance

-Chris

·
Registered
219 Posts
its just about the quality of the pre-amps. the pre's in a 002 are very good actually, but there are only four of them. i cant remember, but i think the 002 also has 4 aux/line ins. you could put mic pre's in front of these to give you 8 channels of nice workable preamps for 8 track recording of, say, a drum kit. hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Quality is a big one, but even many good small mixers (Mackie Onyx, etc.) have very good, clean pres if you just want an "accurate" sound, especially from typical condensors. Some mics (ribbons, some dynamics, etc.) are better with other pres designed for them; this is more about "matching" than overall "quality", but it makes a difference.

Some pres impart a coloration, and people buy them for this. Tubes are big here. Cheap tube pres are actually solid state mic pres with a cheap tube circuit stuck on (basically a fuzz box); some like this effect, but it isn't the classic "tube warmth" they advertise. Others use the tube in the main circuit and are the "holy grail" of pres, like Avalon, Manley, even the old Peavey VMP-1.

Go listen to a high end pre to see if it matters to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.