Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Midi latency problem

hi, i just bought an Oxigen 8 midi controller "usb". and im having trouble using it, cuz the signal is delayed, the sound comes after a little while i touch the key. Im using Fruity Loops Software.
On a laptop
e-machines
amd sempron 1.6ghz
Ram 512mb
Windows XP
Could you recommend some hardware or something that is missing?
thanks for your help folks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
From what you have listed, I'm guessing that you're probably using the built in sound card for your MIDI sounds. I have the same problem with mine, I think it is that the built in cards are kinda generic and the manufacturers don't care about the timing, they aren't designed to be "professional quality" (at least that's my guess). When I use the MIDI port on my Edirol 2496 to trigger sounds from my Juno-D, the delay is unnoticeable, if I use the built in card, the delay makes it unuseable.

This has been my experience, others may be able to help you more.

Roger

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You need to get a CardBus card, such as the Echo Indigo or at the very least, an Audigy CardBus card, either of which supports ASIO, which is what you need for low latency in FruitLoops.

What you're hearing is the result of the stock soundcard driver's inability to process the sound fast enough.

There is ASIO4All, which basically is an open source driver for many stock sound cards, but I couldn't get it to work with my laptop, unfortunately.

It's a shame to spend $125 to $200 on a laptop card when all you're doing is playing back sounds, not recording. But that's what it has to be, unless you get ASIO4All to work.

http://www.asio4all.com/

·
Registered
219 Posts
if you are trying to use the on board sound set of a dodgy sound card. or, even worse, the wavetable synth ( worst. idea. ever). you will have terrible latency. invest in a slightly better card. even something like a soundblaster audigy card will give you much better results. hope that helps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Try a different sound card, one you can get with a usb built right in. Alot of the time its the usb slowing it down, make sure your using a high speed usb port and that its not sharing with any thing else you might be using. With usb, one port can be slowed down because the speed of it is often shared with all the others. The nice thing about having something with firewire is that the speed output is consistent unlike usb. Try a high speed usb card (not a hub) or a sound card with usb built in wouold be your best bet.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
jimmyfingersminion said:
if you are trying to use the on board sound set of a dodgy sound card. or, even worse, the wavetable synth ( worst. idea. ever). you will have terrible latency. invest in a slightly better card. even something like a soundblaster audigy card will give you much better results. hope that helps.
With all due respect, did you even read the response I gave? It offered a solution to use the onboard sound with a low latency driver, without spending any money. This will work fine provided he's only using it for playback.

unique77 said:
Try a different sound card, one you can get with a usb built right in. Alot of the time its the usb slowing it down, make sure your using a high speed usb port and that its not sharing with any thing else you might be using. With usb, one port can be slowed down because the speed of it is often shared with all the others. The nice thing about having something with firewire is that the speed output is consistent unlike usb. Try a high speed usb card (not a hub) or a sound card with usb built in wouold be your best bet.
USB has nothing to do with this, and adding a USB sound card, while it may reduce latency due to the fact that most have ASIO support, is not the best solution.

USB audio interfaces tend to have higher latency (even with ASIO support) than firewire or CardBus solutions.

If the original poster is going to record, then the best solution would be either a Firewire 410 from M-Audio, or a Echo Indigo I/O, with something like a Presonus BlueTube DP.

If he is just going to playback software synths and samplers from FL, then either the ASIO4All or Creative Audigy CardBus will work, for far less.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to everybody for your quick replies. i just installed the reason program that comes with the oxygen 8 keyboard, with that software the sound has a little less latency but still unplayable im just able to play slow chords, i use it together with fruity loops and latency improves, but like i said still unplayable.
Is the Audigy the cheapest solution? how much does it cost? and the other sound cards????

Thanks to everybody
Sorry for my english.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts