Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
take a look at this signal routing pic i drew up:

does this look possible. pedals to the left and GRX4 are in the rack. the tap control to DD20 should be controlled the same tap button on the midi controller as the tap on the G major to make exact same tap tempos for both units. i'm not sure if that is possible though. also feel free to make suggestions on this setup.. and what controller would be best to pull this off. i've been looking at the Rocktron midimate, Behringer fcb1010, DMC Ground Control Pro. I'm leaning toward the Behringer due to price and high recommendation from Jimosity :). let me know what you guys think. f you don't know what something is ask me. i drew this up so i'm sure i didn't show everything i should have in the drawing

·
Registered
949 Posts
Do you know the type of command that is used to control tap tempo in these two units? In my limited experience with tap delay, different units accept different messages for this function (momentary/latching on/off and other inputs). I think it is unlikely to be a midi message that could passed between the units via a midi thru connection.
Bert

(PS: nice signal path diagram!)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stratoskier said:
Do you know the type of command that is used to control tap tempo in these two units? In my limited experience with tap delay, different units accept different messages for this function (momentary/latching on/off and other inputs). I think it is unlikely to be a midi message that could passed between the units via a midi thru connection.
Bert
not sure :). i don't know much about midi myself.. i'm just now starting to get into it.

(PS: nice signal path diagram!)
thanks

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Very nice!

I'll take a closer look at this later, but at first glance it looks possible and well thought out. I did something similar with a Rolls RP93 switcher/router and my Mark IV, but now that I'm an Axess convert I'd never go back. I swear by my GRX4... the internal buffer magically sweetens everything I run though it.

How many of the Mark IV's functions can you switch using the CFX4? Or put another way, how many do you care about switching? If you only care about switching the channels & EQ, you may be able to get by with a less expensive switcher such as the Nobels MS4 (~$75).

--B

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bduersch said:
Very nice!

I'll take a closer look at this later, but at first glance it looks possible and well thought out. I did something similar with a Rolls RP93 switcher/router and my Mark IV, but now that I'm an Axess convert I'd never go back. I swear by my GRX4... the internal buffer magically sweetens everything I run though it.

How many of the Mark IV's functions can you switch using the CFX4? Or put another way, how many do you care about switching? If you only care about switching the channels & EQ, you may be able to get by with a less expensive switcher such as the Nobels MS4 (~$75).

--B
Thanks for looking this over. I would like to have the 3 channels, eq, and simulclass/class A (which is not drawn on the diagram, not quite sure if i want that yet). I'm not too concerned about effects loop switching. it always stays on. plus i wanted the CFX4 for the tap control of the DD20 in conjunction with the tap control of the G major (if that will work, i'm not sure). I was thinking that maybe an external switch of some sort could be plugged into the boss ctrl in and the external control of the g major, but again i don't know if that is possible. I like that the CFX4 is small, not a whole rack unit like the gcx switcher or patchmate. I can just mount this nicely in the amp head section of my rack case, which i might as well show off now too :). Not quite full yet, but the units will be coming soon. Also feel free to let me know if there are any better ways to hook all this up. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Have you confirmed with Mario that the CFX4 will work with the DD20? For example, I though you needed a custom cable with the CFX4 to switch the Mark IV, and as such, may not have any relays left over for the DD20. (My bandmate used a custom cable with the CFX4 and a Nomad, and basically all the 1/4" relays were disabled.) I mean, I know you'd be able to set G-Major's delay times by tapping over MIDI, but I'm not sure if the CFX4 will be able to pick that up and send it to the DD20.

Oddly, if you want to switch 5 things on the Mark IV, that pushes you into a different class of switchers... seems like most devices switch either 4 (such as the Nobels MS4, Rolls RP93, Axess CFX4) or 8 (Nobels MS8, Rocktron Patchmate, GCX Switcher, Rockman MIDI Octopus). If you could get down to 4, you may be able to get by with a cheaper device.

Another consideration... all of the loops on the Rocktron Patchmate and GCX Switcher can be used as either loops or switching relays, so with a single box you could bascially do the job of both the CFX4 and GRX4. That may or may not save you any money, but if nothing else, it would simplify your setup a bit to have all your switching & routing in the same box. So loops 1-3 could be used for compressor, overdrive, DD20, then 4-8 could be used for switching 5 different functions on the Mark IV. Both the Rocktron and GCX are similar... with the GCX you get the bonus of having a built-in buffer, with the Rocktron you get the bonus of having a built-in HUSH unit.

(I just did a quick search... a new GCX switcher is $400, which is slightly less than the $425 it would cost for a new CFX4/GRX4/custom Mark IV cable).

--B

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok everyone forget the other routing picture. here is a new version, but with no tap control on the dd20. from what i know this should work perfectly. also still ooking for ground control recommendations. thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.