Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my favourite Keneally performances is from the Zappa's Universe show in 1993. In it he plays his usual green strat w/ active pickups (originally an Eric Clapton signature), but also a black guitar. It looks like an HSH RG with a pickguard, but the neck looks like a Jackson maybe. Any idea? Sorry if it's been discussed before or if it's nothing to do with Ibanez at all!

·
Registered
676 Posts
That is a Heartfield Talon IV. Heartfield was a subsidiary of Fender Japan in the late 80s-early 90s, making a couple of models, and the Talon is basically modelled after the RG (Fender trying to get some Ibanez pie). Heartfield is long defunct now but they made some nice guitars, and have a following these days.

Like the RG, it's a basswood guitar with a maple neck. They also came stock with DiMarzios - Super 3 and H3 (a pu made specifically for Fender), don't know the what the single coil is; and a Floyd Rose Pro.

Have a look here for more info: Heartfield Guitars.

Another noteworthy user from back in the day was Buckethead. His was blue with a dot neck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a Heartfield Talon IV. Heartfield was a subsidiary of Fender Japan in the late 80s-early 90s, making a couple of models, and the Talon is basically modelled after the RG (Fender trying to get some Ibanez pie). Heartfield is long defunct now but they made some nice guitars, and have a following these days.

Like the RG, it's a basswood guitar with a maple neck. They also came stock with DiMarzios - Super 3 and H3 (a pu made specifically for Fender), don't know the what the single coil is; and a Floyd Rose Pro.

Have a look here for more info: Heartfield Guitars.

Another noteworthy user from back in the day was Buckethead. His was blue with a dot neck.
Brilliant! Thanks so much. The solo on Night School is one of my favourite guitar tones of all time. Apparently Mike put an emg set on this guitar before selling it. I've read the H3 which he uses for this solo sounds similar to an evolution neck apparently. Might give it a try.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is correct; and from what I've read the Heartfields were a collaboration between designers at FujiGen, Fender Japan and FMIC to do things outside of the Fender Japan/Fender USA norms.
aka copy Ibanez designs that they were already making at Fujigen? :p

Still, for that reason alone I'd love to own one of these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts