Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we have a total Green Dot make over.
This is Michael's Custom Green UV. No detail has been or will be overlooked here. We even managed to get our hands on an original set of green and yellow DiMarzio, BWB pickguard, yellow knobs and pink tip all from a green Universe. Mike already has a PWH and Green Dot so while it's not the $5000 dollar one it is still a real Universe....It just has a new look and now he will technically have all three.
I haven't finished beveling and filing the fret ends yet. I just wanted to get some pics of it up since I've already waited longer than I intended to post it so I apologize ahead of time for the cluster of photo's. Next I will post pics of the headstock decal + clearcoating then of everything put together! Very excited for this one.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I stopped over yesterday and saw this in person, it looks good.
I have a real one myself and the color looks spot on!
The fretboard has a nice piece of wood and the Pyramids don't have those big ugly black dots in the corners like many of the aftermarket ones I've seen.
Top Notch!

PS
My DNAish Swirl looks even better in person.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Looks great! Are you having some issues getting the color on the body to be completely uniform? I've noticed the same thing to some extent on my LNG and have heard the same thing from other LNG owners. I think green must be an extremely hard color to paint.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great! Are you having some issues getting the color on the body to be completely uniform? I've noticed the same thing to some extent on my LNG and have heard the same thing from other LNG owners. I think green must be an extremely hard color to paint.
Green is a difficult color. The pics were taken at 2 light coats. This is the best way to go about painting it. Since these pics I've applied two more light coats and now it's all very even. I had to set up a couple more lights ti shine in by the spray booth. Since light can play tricks on what you see when you're spraying it gives the appearance that some edges and corners need more when they don't. I also keep rotating the body to avoid this.

Sebastian played a role in helping out with the color since he has an original. He was also the one who helped me find the loaded pickguard.:wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a pic of the headstock before clear with the logos. The Uni logo came across lighter in the photo than it actually is even though it's not suppose to be a bright logo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here she is the Universe Green Dot makeover to UV777GR! We did have the pink switch tip but used the black one instead. Thanks to my friend Sebastian all three DiMarzio pickups, pickguard and knobs came from an original UV777GR guitar.

I couldn't have been happier with the way this guitar turned out. :D
It was a really fun build and I look forward to doing more.

I'll be starting a LNG Jem here in the next week for my friend Jason. For that one, we'll be using a Jem VBK.

I just started on another UV777GR based off a 7620 for Lionel.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
It's nice to see it all together.
It's too bad I didn't make it over with my Green UV to do a side-by-side before you shipped it out.
Great Job!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts