Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought it would be a hoot to play a Squier mini the other day at Guitar Center. Call me crazy but it was actually a lot of fun. A bit too little for what I'd consider usable (Mainly due to the lack of frets) but pretty cool nonetheless. Upon a visit to a 2nd GC that day (Long story), I came across a Mikro RG.

24 frets, dual humbuckers, fixed bridge, AANJ, and this tiny RG shape...I was mesmerized. So I picked it up and for $130, I'm sold. I'm hoping to pick one up this weekend and plans are as follows...

Black Tuners (The factory tuners are a fairly common gripe on the Mikro)
Black Dome knobs
Black Bridge (This might be a bit tricky)
Black String retainers
Black Schaller strap locks
Black Pickguard screws
D'addario 11-49s tuned standard

The kicker...I have a spare set of EMG 81s floating around. A good once over and a good setup later and this guitar will be completely gig ready. I'll be able to carry it on a plane, put it in my pocket when I go to a party, and it will cost less than $200 all said and done.

Now for the tricky part with that bridge. I found the part no. 2GB1UFX1C but no dimensions are given. I found 2 bridges that may work, but I want to be sure.

Just curious if anyone possibly has any info or can point me in the right direction :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
The bridge looks to be a standard Gotoh-like hardtail. If so, you can buy a replacement from Guitar Parts Depot for under $20 (http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=17753&product=17754). Check the drawing on their site first. The bridges they sell are very common import parts, and a few other retailers sell the same exact one. I usually hunt around until I find a seller that has everything I want. That way I can order all from one place.

Anyway, I was just thinking about something like this a few days ago. I figured that a short scale with a set of 11's would have about the same string tension as a normal guitar with 9's. I'd be really interested to hear how this turns out... especially with regard to the sound.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bridge looks to be a standard Gotoh-like hardtail. If so, you can buy a replacement from Guitar Parts Depot for under $20. Check the drawing on their site first...
This was the first thing I did actually :D I have copies of the drawing for both of the bridges they offer and have an e-mail into Ibanez to hopefully get some information about the bridge on the Mikro (String spread, hole locations, etc...).

...I was just thinking about something like this a few days ago. I figured that a short scale with a set of 11's would have about the same string tension as a normal guitar with 9's. I'd be really interested to hear how this turns out... especially with regard to the sound.
The strings on the Mikro "felt" like 10's, though reacted like 9's. Hit it hard and it goes out, but be gentle and it plays fine. Like you said, 11's should do the trick in standard tuning. The tuners aren't the greatest but they're on the list to be replaced anyway. All in all, definitely a decent and unique piece of equipment for the price.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This was the first thing I did actually :D I have copies of the drawing for both of the bridges they offer and have an e-mail into Ibanez to hopefully get some information about the bridge on the Mikro (String spread, hole locations, etc...).

The strings on the Mikro "felt" like 10's, though reacted like 9's. Hit it hard and it goes out, but be gentle and it plays fine. Like you said, 11's should do the trick in standard tuning. The tuners aren't the greatest but they're on the list to be replaced anyway. All in all, definitely a decent and unique piece of equipment for the price.
meh do like i once did, put a set of 81 85 in a ukulele string it up with 9 gague flea boomers (ya bass strings) and take that bad boy to a show, then watch as the crowd worships you, they didn't worship me but true story.

Get that thing swirled

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The problem with the mikro is the frets. Very small and bad fretwork. Now that my son doesnt play his anymore I might rip them out and put some jumbo pyramids on it. That would be a real hoot. It is fun to play. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figure I can give them a decent cleanup and polish without too much hassle. I might "ebonize" the fingerboard too.

What I'm worried about is the neck. While it was playable, it felt raw and unfinished. I don't know if that because its been sitting out for god-knows how long, but I would definitely need to address that first and foremost.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its probably just crapped up from sitting in the store. I can't wait to do this. Its going to be the most metal mini-guitar ever :D

Yeah, I need to get out more...

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I'm worried about is the neck. While it was playable, it felt raw and unfinished. I don't know if that because its been sitting out for god-knows how long, but I would definitely need to address that first and foremost.
I've been seeing a lot of guitars like that lately. Seems like all the low end guitars have really thin matte finishes of them, especially the Korean ones. Personally, I hate the feel. My Variax had that type of finish, and so did my old Cort bass. The only way I know to "fix" it is to respray the neck.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind a matte finish, but when it feels so...gross...there is a problem.

A matte neck that gets picked up and put down constantly is exposed to different oil and sweat combos that I believe cause this horrid result.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't even ;)

The block is thicker than the body. That, and I don't think there is enough room for a spring cavity as well as the pickups.

Its a hoot of an idea, but on the off-the-shelf model I just don't think it can happen.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Don't even ;)

The block is thicker than the body. That, and I don't think there is enough room for a spring cavity as well as the pickups.

Its a hoot of an idea, but on the off-the-shelf model I just don't think it can happen.
you could mount it old school style on the body without being recessed.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm sure I'll get one of those. First for myself and then give it to my nephew (4 years old now). =) Great idea!

Gotta try one. I've seen one in the window of a local music store.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its killing me to just not get this done right now.

I'm so trying to get ahead and I still have to pay off my latest guitar purchase :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, let me know when you find out.

Do your Mikro has the 3+3 bolt pattern on the bridge? Or just 2 posts?

I want to replace the FAT6 on my GRX20 with some fixed bridge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts