Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a UV777BK which is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I just don't like the mirror guard. The fingerprints drive me nuts. I want to have a replacement made, possibly pearloid, but wanted to know if anyone else has replaced their mirror with something else. I think white pearloid would accentuate the fingerboard pyramids and still retain the classiness of this model. Opinions?

·
Registered
622 Posts
First congrats on the acquisition - A white pearloid should look pretty nice.  I know that there are some Photoshop experts on this site.  Maybe one could do a mock up for u.  
Out,
GP  

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Good thought. I was thinking that, when i finally get the cash together to pick up a 777bk, maybe hiring this guy i know, former ski coach of mine who teaches CAD design at my old high school, to do a custom aluminum pickguard, with maybe a brushed finish. Keep the metal look going without having to worry about fingerprints or corrosion or anything. The only thing i'd be at all worried about ispolishing the edges down so i don't cut myself if i start wailing away a little too vigorously. Anyone know of anyone who's done this?

-Drew

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I've used Roger many times. Always a great experience. I was just wondering what were some opinions about what I should have done.

·
Registered
408 Posts
hi bob, GORGEOUS GUITAR, congrats, you couldnt have gotten a better 7 string

i think you should get a Metal pickgaurd...you know the diamond steel type of look that are on the metal steppings on platforms.

congrats again on the UV   ;D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And congrats on that new metal fretboard :biggrin: I've recently seen a UV777BK with just that type of diamond steel pickguard. Can't remember where, but it was a little too much for me. Brushed anodized aluminum may be my answer if Roger at Jeannie or someone else can do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that was the UV with the diamond guard. I fogot it also had 2 EMGs. Thanks for the pointer. Ben - the UV with the pearloid guard looks awesome. Thanks. That may be the winner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kudos on the guitar. Nice! :)

I'm thinking about doing something similar to my DBK when I get it (within a few weeks). I really like the idea of a mirror pickguard, but I'm thinking about maybe an aluminum one or something as classy. Are there advantages to taking off the mirror, or is it just the look?

·
Registered
270 Posts
No advantages really, other than the fact that other pickguards may not show prints, or scratch as much.  The mirrored pick guards look sweet, but man do they show every little flaw....

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
true that!  i love my DBK but was going to change the mirror guard as well for black perloid.  maybe someday.  the mirror grew on me and i love this guitar.  

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I just ordered an aged off-white pearl pickguard from Jeannie. I'll post pics when I get it. I'm also thinking of changing the 2 humbuckers to a zebra coiled TZ7 and AN7. Should look sweet...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts