Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm somewhat of an "anti-allen-wrench" guy and I was looking at a Floyd Rose Pro whammy I had sitting around the house, which is very much like the Lo-Pro Edge. I found that if I take the tightening allen screw out completely, as well as the little block that secures the string, I can then run the string through the slot where the allen screw was, and the ball end of the string catches nicely right there. The fine-tuning pegs still work great, and if I were to put a Kahler quick-release cam-locking nut on the other end, I'd have a full-blown whammy system (allowing for major abuse) that didn't need any allen wrenches at all.

It seems too easy... naturally the device wasn't made for it and I suspect some sharp edges would decrease string life. However, if Ibanez or Floyd himself (or anybody) wanted to, I'm sure they could easily redesign the system (smooth out contacts points, etc...) to come up with a killer tremolo that doesn't need allen wrenches at all.

Thoughts or comments? Anybody know somebody who knows somebody that can make Ibanez really consider the idea? I think it would sell like hotcakes...

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Putting the ball-ends like that creates a point of movement for the string to not return to zero, similar to a strat trem, defeating the whole purpose of a double locking system, IMO. You've just simulated a single locking floyd system, which is not as stable as a double locking one.

Kahlers have a rolling saddle to lower friction, and a completely different movement system.

You might want to look into the Floyd Rose Speedloader tremolo if you want to go without the allen keys but want a fully-locking stable tremolo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not too keen on the speedloader and those strings aren't available at any old music store in the middle of nowhere. I understand the argument about two contact points... back to the drawing board!

Or maybe they could invent a cam-lock for the bridge side... hmmm....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts