Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for some reason want ALL my necks to have a locking nut, even if they dont have a trem system, adn i dont particularly like locking tuners and I think that the locking nut adds a lil "flava" the the look of the guitar, and it keeps me in tune, now the biggie, how can I mod a non locking neck for it to allow a locking to nut fit on it and still be able to play confortably on the first fret????

Thanks

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
you and your mods - you scare me!

you should be able to modify any existing neck to take a locking nut. it's just a matter of removing (or occasionally adding) the right amount of wood from where the existing nut sits.

it's a precision operation, though. in removing wood, you need to remove just the right amount so that the nut doesn't sit too low (which would screw your action and/or require copious number of shims) and that the cavity you cut for it is square.

depending on the make of guitar you're planning to do this to (the silver squire?) you may even have to build up the wood underneath where the locking nut would sit, as the locking nut is longer than the original nut but meets the fretboard in the same place.

not something i'd do myself, but then i'm kinda chicken when taking powertools to a working guitar. you, on the other hand, are not!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol, i guess i just want to mod my guitars. :). so your saying that ill have to fill up or re-enforce the wood under the locking nut with some shims? yes ill be doing this to my silver strat, but maybe ill take it to a tech, one told me that it was impossible and that I should buy a new guitar, which I dont want to do.

Has there ever been any tutorials on this kind of mod?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The guy who told you it was impossible was just trying to get rid of you.

You just have to create the right size flat spot there for the nut to sit on. You may have to file down some wood. You may have to fill in some too. Often the neck will drop away to the headstock surface right after the nut, in which case you probably would have to add wood there to support the locking nut. You will just have to figure out how to make it fit on your guitar. Watch out for covering up the truss rod nut though. In some cases that might be in your way too. (Some locking nuts have a hump cut into the bottom middle to clear the rod.)

I wouldn't do it to mine ... but if that's what you want then go for it and good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
follow the instructions on that guitar 101 link it's not that hard...i did it to my GSA60 and it looks great.

notice the 2 screws where the string trees used to be....didn't have filler when i refinished (i'm lazy) so just kept the screws.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sabu2k1 said:
What do you mean how am I going to tune? the point of the locking nut is so it WONT go out of tune.
If that was the case all fixed-bridge guitars would have locking nuts!

Why do you think the the Ibanez FX-Edge fixed bridge (which has a locking-nut)has fine-tuners.

Strings will always stretch very slightly and changes in temperature will also cause expansion and contraction of the strings. Basically your guitar won't stay in tune for long.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's not even that, so much as it is that when you lock a locking nut, the pads usually push and pull the two strings in the opposite direction by slightly rotating as they are tightened. In other words, simply locking the nut usually throws you out of tune slightly. If you don't have fine tuners, then installing a locking nut is big mistake. Don't say we didn't warn you. Besides, why would you remove all that wood from the most delicate part of a neck when you don't have to?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I see your point, and i would at least like to try i out for myself, and i know a gutiar wont be in tune forever, just need it to be in tune for a set, then i can fine tune it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Schaller makes a "fine-tune tailpiece" that (I think) is a retrofit deal for Les Paul style systems. It also makes a bridge/tailpiece combo deal. I don't know if the stud spacing on those matches any Ibanez specs.

I agree with those above who said it'll wind up being a colossal headache if you don't have some fine tuners. Seems like way back in the early 80s some of the very first Floyds had a lock nut but no fine tuners -- those didn't stay on the market very long if I recall.
Bert

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
frankfalbo said:
It's not even that, so much as it is that when you lock a locking nut, the pads usually push and pull the two strings in the opposite direction by slightly rotating as they are tightened. In other words, simply locking the nut usually throws you out of tune slightly. If you don't have fine tuners, then installing a locking nut is big mistake. Don't say we didn't warn you. Besides, why would you remove all that wood from the most delicate part of a neck when you don't have to?
Good point!
That slipped my mind completely. With that in mind it makes fitting a locking-nut to a fixed-bridge Ibanez an even worse idea.:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know if it's that good an idea (I personally think it sound pretty cool), but there is an excellent book called "Guitar Player Repair Guide" (Expanded and updated second version) By Dan Erlewine. I own it and it is very good, especcially if you like to modify your guitar. It has a section on routing for Floyd Rose trems and Floyd Rose locking nuts. He's expecting the mod to be done to strat style guitars so it should work well for you. It has sections on refinishing, refretting, electronic repairs, and all sorts of guitar modifications as well as setup techniques and some famous guitarists setups. It is truely an excellent source and costs around $20 bucks. I highly suggest it. Good luck. (P.S. I think you should go for it.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts