Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, that's right... I said Modelling Amps.

To keep this simple I'm asking opinions on three particular ranges, the VOX Valvetronix range, the Line 6 Spider III range (and maybe the Spider Valves) and the Ibanez MiMx range.

If anyone has opinions on them and especially comparisons between the three, it would be greatly appreciated.

And also, a question that really bugs me... Do modelling amps REALLY sound THAT artificial compared to the actual tube and transistor amps they're built to mimic, or is that really just if you're obsessed with the tiny details of tone?

Thanks heaps in advance!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what's wrong with the Line 6? I played the Spider III 75 yesterday and it sounded great.

What is it about the amp that's cheap?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
So what's wrong with the Line 6? I played the Spider III 75 yesterday and it sounded great.

What is it about the amp that's cheap?
I've never played a Line 6 Spider III that has made me want or like the amp, and I've had 4 friends with them too so I know in store and out store.

Cheap as in price, in no way do I hate Line 6, but their Spider III's aren't very good. Which is the cheapest amp they offer. Hence why I said I don't like their cheaper amps.

I really like their Vetta's though and also much of their older stuff is really nice.

·
Registered
426 Posts
In my opinion the Line 6 valve amps sound pretty good, I used to own a Vox AD50VT and that sounded good too but ultimately I had enough and wanted a good tube amp. My advice would be to test the Vox, Line 6 and Peavey and see what you think. The Vox was great for recording direct out into a computer by the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I formerly owned Line 6's flagship product, the most recent version Vetta II, and it was a total disaster. The unit quickly developed a high frequency squeal that was literally painful to the ears when ever the amp was turned on. Certified Line 6 reps could not fix the problem after being without an amp for many months. The amp was eventually returned to Line 6 who claims to have fixed the problem but neglected to use any packing material (yes you read that correctly) and the amp was destroyed during shipping. After 4 more months of calling Line 6 every week I finally received a replacement amp. I was without an amp for over 9 months. If you prefer repeating the same story to someone over the phone more than jamming I'd recommend purchasing a Line 6 product.

The best modeling amp I ever owned was the Johnson Millenium JM150, which are well worth the used market price these days.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my opinion- amps such as line 6 concentrate on all the effects that they put into their amps, rather than the actual tone of the amp if you see what i mean? so its like your paying more for the effects, whereas I'd rather get a really good amp that sounds fantastic clean and distorted, but then buy a few pedals to produce the effects i want

·
Registered
129 Posts
Look at it this way: What effects from a Line6 or Peavey or whatever would you use (a lot) ? Consider if you can get a standard amp, tube or SS, and stand-alone effects pedals. I believe in the do-one-thing-and-do-it-well philosophy.

I've tried various Line6 amps and maybe it was limited time, but couldn't find a "good" setting. I also tried the Vyper and found it overwhelming with all of the possible knob settings and buttons. When you add in the pedals that Peavey offers for the Vypers, you can get hundreds of combinations of effects.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I know you didn't ask but I have to say it. Roland Cube 80x. 80 watts, 2 channels. 3rd programable solo channel. independent delay and reverb. Digital or analog style delay. Looper. ANd other effects. And a speaker out to run a cab if you want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Flextone II 2x12, it sounds pretty good. Its not a high end amp, but it is very versatile, and can be picked up pretty cheap. I don't think the Spiders are that great, but these things are an easy way to get a lot more amp and effects(compsred to Spiders) for low cash.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I know you didn't ask but I have to say it. Roland Cube 80x. 80 watts, 2 channels. 3rd programable solo channel. independent delay and reverb. Digital or analog style delay. Looper. ANd other effects. And a speaker out to run a cab if you want.
go right now and try that cube. i have a 30 and its awesome. the amp models are VERY useful. And that vypyr has a noise gate that is ALWAYS on. cant use your guitar volume with it. i had one and returned it. also it wouldnt turn on half the time. after investigation, i found out that this was a common problem. imagine trying to play a gig and your amp wont turn on.....Maybe they fixed it by now, but i still wouldnt trust it.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I don't mind line 6 so much. But I use my through a pair of active monitors.

Tone? Well, I'm happy...

It's just too easy to sit down and jam with your favourite CD, and bring up a tone that matches. Led Zep, to Metallica, to Vai's lead tone with the click of a foot switch.

All at bedroom volumes.

I use Evolutions -> Line6 Pod XT Pro with the latest firmware, metal pack, and my own custom patches -> BBE Sonic Maximiser 362NR with the noise reduction off -> AudioEngine A2 active speakers.

I've noticed that with this setup I can affect the tone by changing my pick attack or rolling off the volume. Kinda like I can with a Tube amp, just not to the same extent. Thing is, no tube amp comes close to sounding like this at the volumes I now play at...and again, it's all too easy to jam along with your favourite CD.

Conversely, there's no substitute to a good tube amp cranked.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
go right now and try that cube. i have a 30 and its awesome.
Every time I jam with someone and use my Cube they are always blown away. Usually these guys are big tube amp lovers and have or had played through some impressive rigs. I don't even ask what they think but I get a lot of, "that thing sound good. How much was it?"

I'm not saying it's as good or better than the amps it models, but it sounds very good has more than one sound and it's by far easier to use than anything by Line 6 or vox (never tried a Vypyr so I don't know).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I find that my Line6 XT PRO works great live.... d.i into the desk and it does what i want from it....get compliments on tone all the time and then they scratch their heads when they see it in my rack case!! Recording wise it also does its job, granted i run it through and 31 band eq.....so for me, its a win win situation. EVERYBODY has their own tastes and nuences they have to have in their tone...so what works for one doesnt necessarily work for all!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Well, I've always hated the Line 6 Spider series. It was my first amp and i couldnt wait to get rid of it. I would recommend you take a look at Johnson amps. They're discontinued but you can get em used on everyones favorite auction site, often relatively cheap. I got a TOTAL steal on mine on craigslist for something like 130 bucks a couple of years back before upgrading to my current rig. GREAT modeling amps with a 12AX7 tube (namely the Marquis - 60 watts i think; and the Millennium - higher wattage).

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I find that my Line6 XT PRO works great live.... d.i into the desk and it does what i want from it....get compliments on tone all the time and then they scratch their heads when they see it in my rack case!! Recording wise it also does its job, granted i run it through and 31 band eq.....so for me, its a win win situation. EVERYBODY has their own tastes and nuences they have to have in their tone...so what works for one doesnt necessarily work for all!!
Yup you don't have to play what everyone says is the best just to sound good. ANd I have heard many PODs sound killer. I'm not in the party of "modeling is just as good as tube." I don't think that, but I think we are at a point where modeling is good enough that it makes you question how much you are willing to spend on an amp with just one or two amazing sounds or an amp that has 5-20 good sounds for half the price. It is every player's descision to make and no one has to be right, and one doesn't have to laugh at the other. Just enjoy playing the guitar as much as you can.

Just to be clear. In my last comment I said the Roland Cube series was easier to use than anything from Vox or Line6. But that does not mean that I think those brands or products are inferior. I was only commenting on the simple control style and layout when compared to the others. Just like UV-7-BK said "...one doesn't necessarily work for all."

·
Super Moderator
7,284 Posts
It's just too easy to sit down and jam with your favourite CD, and bring up a tone that matches. Led Zep, to Metallica, to Vai's lead tone with the click of a foot switch.

All at bedroom volumes.
I think this is a key statement. I play an old Spider II at home and it's the best home amp I've had. I've got Boogies for louder occasions, I've had Soldanos and Marshalls, I've tried and not bothered to buy Engls and Diesels.

But for playing at home I'd choose Line 6 over any of them these days, simply because I can fire everything up insantly, recall a tone (that's not 100 miles away from the tone I'm listening to which is amazing at bedroom volumes) instantly, play a couple of songs, grabbing 20 minutes of practice time and then shut everything down instantly.

If you're gigging I think you're probably better off with a half decent tube amp and a couple of half decent effects. But at home any of these modelling amps will do the trick nowadays :)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
And also, a question that really bugs me... Do modelling amps REALLY sound THAT artificial compared to the actual tube and transistor amps they're built to mimic...
Yes. No modeling comes close to the rich sound of a great tube amp. The sound is much more 3D and fuller. Everytime I've heard someone play with just a POD into the PA live, it didn't sound too great . But of course, the real magic of a tube amp happens when you play at a decent volume, so for practicing, modeling amps and PODs are better.

+100000

The Cubes are REALLY great sounding modeling amps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts