Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread on here a little while back about Epiphone Lp's. The general feeling is that if you can afford a Gibson then that's probably best as you'll have to try out a good few Epi's before you get a keeper and even then you'll need to do a few mods to it.
My feeling is that I've also had to try out a few Gibsons before I've found one I liked but I bought this Epi off **** for £80 (in a bit of a sorry state mind you) and I've spent £14 on 2 pickups (CH guitars 13k humbuckers, also off ****), £30 on machine heads, £12 on bumblebee capacitors plus some hi grade speaker wire I had left over from my Hi-Fi. All in all with some time spent on it and some TLC I've built a Les Paul that I'm 100% happy with no matter if it says Epiphone, Gibson or Plank on the headstock.

The video is real dark so here is a photo of it with my other guitars (I don't own the Strat or the Jackson any more though)

...and here's a video that'll at least give you a taste of how it ended up

I played a freinds tiger stripe honey blonde Gibson LP (with Sey Duncs in) last week and I've got to admit that it was totally freaking amazing BUT that thing has cost him nigh on £3k what with pickups and fret work. Mine comes in at less than £150, it's the same age and plays/sounds just the same. It's up to you guys on what choices you make if you're considering an LP shaped guitar. I'm just throwing another option out there.

Ben

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
As all guitarists suffering from G.A.S know, we have our up days and our down days. Today has definatly been an up day for me.

At 9pm tonight I landed this Epiphone LP custom for £155 YAY!!

Fess up sunshine, £80 for that Epi? :roll: :lol:

I hear what you're saying, I'm on the quest to get the right Epi myself ;)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
£155 was for that guitar, a flight case and postage. I went down to near Preston to pick it up so I saved £25 on the postage (only cost about a tenner in diesel) and when I got there the flight case was way too big for the guitar. I told him I didn't want the flight case (or the 2 cheapo pedals in the pocket he was trying to pass off as "bonus items") and when I asked to plug the guitar in to try it out he admitted the pickups didn't work (turns out they were just badly connected but I scrapped them anyway).
I made a song and dance about "what use is an electric guitar that doesn't work when you plug it in" etc and "You've let me drive all the way down here, you shoulda mentioned it on the listing". I offered him £80 cash to take away just the guitar and the rest is history.

-2 respect points from your quest total for doubting me Sir ;)

Eggy

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could've fit me and you in that crappy flight case and still had room for the guitar. The fact that the pickups didn't work and I called bullsh*t on him was his mistake though.

There's a white custom on **** right now in your neck of the woods (Alty) going for £160 buy it now. If you were prepared to rewire, change pickups/tuners etc you could have a killer Les Paul for under £200 tomorrow.

Eggy

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I saw that. To be honest I've had about 5 different Epi's in under as many months but I can't find *that* one if you get what I'm saying. It'll come though.

I'm just a tad fed up with shelling out on Gibbys and them being hit and miss. You just shouldn't get that when paying that much dough.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Well...........it's about time we had a new vid to watch mate :D :lol:

Glad to see you back :D Great pic and vid 8)

Nice to hear about the bargain axe turning out so well :D

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As 249 says though Andy it's hit and miss. It's great that it's turned out well but I've had around 8 or so Epi LP's over the past 20yrs and this is the only one I've ever wanted to keep. Having said that though I've had 4 Gibsons (3 LP's and a 335) and got rid of them all, I don't miss 'em either.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What Jackson is that, BTW? Is that a JS30DK? If so, how is it?
I sold the Jackson on about 6 months ago. I don't remember the model number but it's one of those made in India ones that you can pick up new for £200ish. It was a nice guitar though. If I was going to keep it I'd have had to have put ptopper EMG's in it and swapped out the trem but to be honest it didn't do anything the Jem couldn't do so it ended up surplace to requirements.

Eggy

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Hey Brother long time no see! :D If you are into Les Paul type Guitars I would buy and LTD EC-1000! They are freaking sweet! they have some stuff that neither Gibson nor Epiphone will ever give you for a fraction of the price like:

24 frets!!! yes you heard right!
Spertzel tuners
81 85 EMG active electronics
Abalone binding
Mother of pearl inlays
Hard tail bridge with fine tuners!!

I'll post a pic of mine so you can check it out!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I sold the Jackson on about 6 months ago. I don't remember the model number but it's one of those made in India ones that you can pick up new for £200ish. It was a nice guitar though. If I was going to keep it I'd have had to have put ptopper EMG's in it and swapped out the trem but to be honest it didn't do anything the Jem couldn't do so it ended up surplace to requirements.

Eggy
Ah, okay. I was just wondering if they were any good, because if they are, I would pick one up. Just replace the bridge, toss in a pair of EMG's or Blackouts (since it doesn't really matter what you put actives in), and it would be a fairly cheap little shredder.

Might have to check one of those out sometime.

Nice guitars, though. :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Ollie how you doing!?!

Yeah I agree the EC series are great (and the Edwards even better) but they cost a bit more than what you can pick Epi's up for over here.

Eggy

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, okay. I was just wondering if they were any good, because if they are, I would pick one up. Just replace the bridge, toss in a pair of EMG's or Blackouts (since it doesn't really matter what you put actives in), and it would be a fairly cheap little shredder.

Might have to check one of those out sometime.

Nice guitars, though. :)
It's worth having a look. The biggest plus point for me on that guitar was the shape of the neck. It felt great and obviously that's a pretty major part of developing a love affair with a guitar.

Eggy

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just bought this Epiphone...talked to a guitar geek tec.
And the guy told me to change all the electrics and tuners, and told me get this parts...

Pickup Dimarzio Paf zebra
Pickup Dimarzio Super Distortion
Bridge Tonepros
4 Pots CTS 500K (2 tone 2 volume)
Pickup Switch 3-way (LP) Swicthcraft
Dunlop Straplocks Dual
Planet Waves PWAT331L 58.40

1 - 20 of 23 Posts