Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Ibanezes has an Edge III tremolo, I wonder if I could improve it by changing the saddles and/or other somethings. Ibanez offers replacement saddles for the Edge, Edge LoPro, and Edge Zeros, maybe some of those saddles could be swapped for the Edge III saddles? with or without a bit of machining or filing? I've got the idea saddles/holders of the Edge III have "give" in holding the strings. I don't know about this, do you? :mrgreen:

Randy Burkhardt, of Simi Valley California here. I also posted this introduction on the introduction thread.
I shop for guitars by playing them un-amplified first so I can find the ones that have good resonance and tone in themselves - before I plug them in. This has worked out really well for me, I have some sweet sounding guitars.
Now :cool: I can realistically learn about the subjective tones added by the various pickups.
Have a nice day.
RB

Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, Fender, Fender, Danelectro, Yamaha, Tanglewood, Conn, Kay
Rogue mandolin, Lark violin, Melody With Violin violin

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
No, those other saddles and parts will not fit the Edge III. You can perhaps buy an aftermarket brass sustain block to improve tone, but in terms of the knife edges, sadlles, studs and anchors, etc, you are stuck with the ones you get on the bridge.

If you really like the guitar, then you can get an Edge Pro, and it will fit in the cavity just fine. You'll most likely want to replace the studs and anchors with the Edge Pro ones too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks, I've been searching on this issue and as you say the Edge Pro is the answer I've found. The guitar sounds great, plenty of tone and sustain, love the guitar.
But, if I go whammy on the trem it goes out of tune for example in this way: a number of strings go flat while others go sharp. Last night for example all strings went flat except the B and G strings went sharp with only 4 or 5 seconds of whammy action. That's what gave me the idea that it's not just a "return to zero" problem, but a "can't hold the string" problem. Anyway, thanks. RB

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I've never had a problem with tuning with my Edge III guitar???
Something must be wrong with you setup.

The problem people have with the Edge III is not with the saddles, it's the main bridge plate.
The plate wears down or bends where it contacts the studs.

The saddles are the same ones Ibanez uses on its 8 string Edge FX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. I can understand how bent edges would cause this problem. So I want to fix my main bridge plate then. Can I do that? Rehab it somehow? Or is the metal on mine so weak that I can't straighten, weld, or reshape it? Can I replace the main plate? Will getting a new Edge III solve the problem?

I now, with the knowledge you just dropped, surmise that had I known this when I bought the guitar last year that I could have returned it for a new one. Problem is this model is discontinued now, and I don't want to give it up. So I have a great guitar with a broken tremolo, the tremolo to be fixed or replaced as soon as I can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts