Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Apart from finding a mint pre-2003 jem7vwh at a bargain price im really stuck with the prestige rg series but im concerned about the possibilty of having it refretted with smaller frets. Will this mess up the action and involve resetting the trem and nut ?

If the js models had a flat radius neck I would buy one today.

When I tried a jem 555 it felt like it had extra - super - jumbos and instead of using less pressure (as the theory claims) I found myself having to use more pressure than I do on medium frets !

Im in the market for a brand new guitar but I cannot find a decent one with small fretwire, its so frustrating.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
How much time have you spent with Jumbo frets? My experience has been that they felt a little weird and harder to play at first, then as I got used to it my playing improved dramaticly and now I hate to play anything without Jumbos.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Rotti said:
How much time have you spent with Jumbo frets? My experience has been that they felt a little weird and harder to play at first, then as I got used to it my playing improved dramaticly and now I hate to play anything without Jumbos.
I'm with you, I think RG frets are the best once you play them. Sounds like if your having that much problem it may be a setup issue. I can't beleive how much a good setup will do for a guitar. Had my 570 done two days ago, lower than low.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The JemVWH is fretted with 6105's. That's WARMOTH'S 6105 fretwire NOT DUNLOP'S 6105. There's a huge difference. I like them both, but lot's of people misunderstand, and reference the Dunlop size (which is very tall and skinny) The Warmoth 6105 isn't really a small fretwire, but it's not a mega jumbo like the RG's either. If you were "lucky" and there's a shim under your lock nut, then Warmoth 6105's might only require removing the shim. But if there's no shim, or if you wen't smaller than 6105, the nut would have to be lowered. You can either grind a little off the nut, or route the channel deeper.

The trem should stay relatively in the same place. If it's almost touching the bottom of the cavity already, then I would route the front end of the cavity a little deeper. You can pull the anchors and re-drill them deeper, or sometimes if I just need a little more depth, I'll route around the anchors. It's like a "Tee" shape, because the underside of the saddles is deeper than the outer rims of the knife edges.

Another way to compensate for the trem issue is to route a slight neck angle into the pocket. I do that a lot. Sometimes there are shims in there anyway, so I can pull them and re-route a clean, slightly angled pocket. That way the trem can come UP 1-2mm.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Im with twiddleuk on this, I hate jumbo frets but...... how can so many buyers be wrong?
I was recently shopping for a guitar myself and know your frustration but...
until this year my only guitar was an old RG450 with medium frets and I loved it (still do), I got a lot of interaction with the fingerboard and liked the feel of wood under my fingers.
This year I bought another RG that had Jumbo's, initially I hated it but after persisting playing it for a while I enjoyed the "play by touch" feel, where I got a lot less wood interaction (ahem)

to summarise, Im not only a jumbo fret convert but was considering scalloping or super jumbo or something......

smoother bends and a great touch feel, persist with the jumbo's mate, give it a few months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.