Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm a bedroom guitarist with no aspirations of forming a band or performing on stage. I just enjoy playing my guitar and learning songs and styles.

I've noticed recently that the more I play the more extreme my musical tastes have become. One minute I'm playing the Beatles and the next Dimmu Borgir and everything in between.

So with that range I've decided to get a multi effects unit and have set myself a price limit of £150.

I've done a bit of research and have found these units within my price range:

Boss ME-25, Digitech RP355, Vox Tonelab ST, Zoom G2.1nu, Zoom G3X

I mainly play metal of one form or another from Iron Maiden to Melodic Death metal and need a unit that can emulate all the tones within these genre's so a good patch database would be welcome.

At the top right now is the Zoom G2.1nu mainly as there are Michael Amott & Dave Mustaine units and their patches are freely available for the standard unit.

Other than that I don't know much about these units, I've read reviews but I don't know all the jargon.

Can anyone recommend a unit?

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey,

let me tell you never to buy a digitech or a zoom!!! I've owned many different multi effect units and these both were the worst!

I would try the Boss.

Have you ever thought about a Line 6? Quality and price is very good on line 6 units!!!!!

greetings dani

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Run away from pods, their distortion is crap and you'll sound the same like a thousand out there cause no matter what you do a pod always sound like a pod.
Boss gt10 has awesome amps, TO ME it's the multi effects that has the best amp simulator so far plus it has almost all boss pedals and it's extremelly easy to use.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Run away from pods, their distortion is crap and you'll sound the same like a thousand out there cause no matter what you do a pod always sound like a pod.
Boss gt10 has awesome amps, TO ME it's the multi effects that has the best amp simulator so far plus it has almost all boss pedals and it's extremelly easy to use.
:roll: I have a GT10 this is nice! but you have to read the whole post. :smile:

it will be very hard to get one of these for a £150!!! ;)

I've owned a pod, too! And it is very good for playing in a bedroom...

why don't you recommand him an Axe fx ultra :D!

a thousand out there uses this for a good reasen!!

and a Jem7 does always sound like a Jem7... ;)

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Nope.
It doesn't matter how much money he has, my point was save money and get something he'll never regret.
Buy a pod now then keep coming to forums complaining about it.
The only reason for buying a pod is they think they'll get instant real tube amps tones but of course they won't, they'll get a crap pod tone.
Save money and get an used gt10.
For ONLY bedroom playing buy TH2 or Guitar Rig and play with his laptop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.

Wow that's a bit overwhelming.

Digitech bad, zoom bad, pods good, pods bad, get something else that costs twice as much.

£150 is my limit. Not because I can't afford anymore but because as with everything else costs soon escalate if I don't set a limit and £150 units will more than suffice for my purposes.

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get this,you will love it...Boss eband js8.
Some Amps and effects from gt-10,with jam tracks, beats,looper,speed control etc etc.
Very useful tool and near your budget.
Thanks, a very impressive unit.

But way out of my price range especially if you add the expression pedal & foot switches to it.

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
Thanks, a very impressive unit.

But way out of my price range especially if you add the expression pedal & foot switches to it.
Why don't you just play with your puter?
Why do you need to buy something physical?
Guitar Rig 5 and TH2 have awesome tones and everything inside of your puter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks.

Well the main reason I didn't choose either of those is because I never knew they existed.

I'll take a look.

Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks.

So you would recommend one of these two over any of the physical units I listed and if so do you have a preference?

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
YOU have to know what you need and not strangers on the net.
For bedroom playing buy any of those programs, they come with everything you could possibly need and it's ready to record and share.
They never break and you don't have to clean them.
If someday you'll have fun playing with friends, you could buy a midi controller and control those programs then you'll need a poweramp and a cab.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, Cheers.

I'll look into them.

Not interested in playing with friends or in a band, did that 20 years ago and am too old to mess around with all that again.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
sorry 6 fingers but I'm one of those guitar players who needs the feeling of physical units.
I can't play in front of a computer. I can't concentrate on my guitar then.

I need my metronom

I need my songbooks

and I need my pysical units for feeling.

and this is the best way of learning for me!

He should think about what kind of player he is!

In that way I'm totaly agreeing with the BossJS8!!!

·
Banned
5,010 Posts
sorry 6 fingers but I'm one of those guitar players who needs the feeling of physical units.
I can't play in front of a computer. I can't concentrate on my guitar then.

I need my metronom

I need my songbooks

and I need my pysical units for feeling.

and this is the best way of learning for me!

He should think about what kind of player he is!

In that way I'm totaly agreeing with the BossJS8!!!
I was talking to him not to you.
Why do you think I'm interested about what you need?
I'm lost :lol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been doing a bit of research and all the units I listed have their fans and dissenters but the two zoom units seems to have the largest patch modding community so I've decided to choose either the G3x or the G2.1nu.

Has anyone used either of these? I've tried searching around but it's usually the basic G3 unit using software version 1 compared with the G2.1nu so I can't get a clear answer.

Many Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts