Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a Ibanez AF2 Airplane Flanger since I tried one out late last year, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to afford to buy one soon.

I've been reading up on the MXR Micro Flanger, and it might a good, low-ish cost option for a flanger. I'm just hoping it can get the sort out sounds I'm after if I wish to use a flanger (I believe it will).

Have any fellow Jemsiters owned or played with one extensively? What was it like?

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Yeah, checked it out at NAMM. It's one of those magical pedals that seems to sound good no matter where you set the controls. I have an AF2 and the only problem with it is there's so much range to what it can do that it can be hard to dial in a sound (even compared to other 4-knob flangers). The Micro Flanger solves this problem in a really elegant way, by simply sounding great and giving you external control over only what you really really need to control.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Petie. I've played a bit with the AF2 and loved the versatility from a guitar geek perspective, but being a poor guitar geek, and only in reality needing a certain type of sound for some songs I'm working on I think the Micro Flanger may be the way to go.

I'm just pretty much after that slowish swirling sound for heavy rhythm passages as an accent at times. I think the Micro Flanger would be more than capable of doing that. Just want to make sure that it doesn't have any major quibbles like noticeable volume changes, etc.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Thanks for that Petie. I've played a bit with the AF2 and loved the versatility from a guitar geek perspective, but being a poor guitar geek, and only in reality needing a certain type of sound for some songs I'm working on I think the Micro Flanger may be the way to go.

I'm just pretty much after that slowish swirling sound for heavy rhythm passages as an accent at times. I think the Micro Flanger would be more than capable of doing that. Just want to make sure that it doesn't have any major quibbles like noticeable volume changes, etc.
I didn't notice any volume changes at NAMM. I think it could be perfect for what you're after.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got one yesterday. I've only had a small play with it so far, but it is very cool. It can't do the over the top stuff that the Airplane Flanger can do, but for what I mostly want to do the Micro Flanger is perfect. People are right in saying that you can't really get a bad sound out of it, it's so nice and simple.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts