Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, this is my first post! I restored my old guitar after 18yrs of it just sitting in the attic :) It’s a USA Custom Metal Design series that was made for just one year - produced in 1989 and sold in 1991. Here’s more about it on my guitar collection website if you’re interested (I love doing research on my vintage guitars!) - Ibanez Custom UCMD1SK | SiaVintageGuitars

Replaced the plastic inlay with abalone myself, and refretted the guitar. But apart from that everything is original.

·
Registered
570 Posts
That finish is wild, interesting guitar.
How does it play now it's fixed up?

Is it very wide, thin flat neck like an RG 770 or a PGM100?

Interesting pick-up combo, seems the bridge is much hotter than the neck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That finish is wild, interesting guitar.
How does it play now it's fixed up?

Is it very wide, thin flat neck like an RG 770 or a PGM100?

Interesting pick-up combo, seems the bridge is much hotter than the neck.
Thanks! It’s plays really well, to be honest. The funny thing is 18yrs ago I was a metal head, then I put the guitar away and picked it up only last year. But not I’m a SRV, Jimi, blues fan, so I’ve started collecting vintage Tokai strats with 7.25 radius. So the Ibanez with its 17 inch radius is a radically different guitar, but the pick ups are so great (especially the neck PAF style since I use the neck a lot). I think the bridge was hot because it lends itself more to metal and rock that way. It’s a wide and super thin neck like the Rg 770 - in fact this guitar is essentially a 770 with some custom colour and pickups.
This guitar was first ever + it brought me back to guitars playing + it taught me intermediate luthier skills. So, it’s been very influential for me with the hobby altogether and will always have a special place in the collection!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a PGM100 (another fancy looking 770) and the neck feels thinner and flatter than a classic Jem neck. I think they're both 17" radius. But the 770 style still feels a bigger adjustment from a strat style.

Anyway congrats great guitar hope you still play it lots. (And yes despite what people at you can still play blues on a pointy headstock guitar).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a PGM100 (another fancy looking 770) and the neck feels thinner and flatter than a classic Jem neck. I think they're both 17" radius. But the 770 style still feels a bigger adjustment from a strat style.

Anyway congrats great guitar hope you still play it lots. (And yes despite what people at you can still play blues on a pointy headstock guitar).
Thanks so much for your kind wishes! I hope to enjoy the guitar for many years to come :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts