Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a few months ago i decided I wanted to do a cheapo project. At the time Music 123 had a sale going on and the guitar was on clearance, and I also got a bunch off on the parts as well. I got the OLP Petrucci model and began a quest of making it as similar to the real deal EBMM as a $150 chinese guitar could get. I installed the D-Sonic/Air Norton combo and rewired the entire guitar. Used Dimarzio push/pull pots as individual volumes for each pickup as i hate tone knobs. Also replaced the switch with a switchcraft and jack with a CTS. I installed a Graphtech nut and saddle set as well as Sperzel Trim Lock tuners. The guitar itself wasn't bad for playability. The neck was pretty nice (with a bit of cleaning up of the fret ends) and the body is extremely comfortable. Upper fret access is great. With all the work done the guitar sounds and plays awesome. The D-Sonic/Air Norton combo is great (like thats a secret) and it stays in tune even with a ton of trem ****ery. Not bad for under $400 total.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Cool man! I've been wanting to get one of those cheap from the bay of evil and do it up. Well done!

If you get the right OLP (sometimes they are pretty bad) and put a little work into it, they make good guitars for a low price. I upgraded an OLP Axis a couple years ago (non-recessed OFR including a neck pocket angle to compensate for the action, zebra Dimarzios, fret cleanup, locknut, strip the back of the neck) and I love it - a nice comfortable, smooth playing, great sounding guitar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.