Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got the trem on my ibanez in level, in tune, the nut is tight, the strings are locked in VERY tight, and they're locked in VERY tight in the bridge as well.

STILL! It will go out of tune when i divebomb or just dive about moderately. mostly on the gstring that goes pretty flat.

it goes back to normal when i yank the bar up.

I know it shoulnt be like this and I've played Edge III's that have not even had this problem, and this is an Edge PRO..

would it be the knife edges and string posts? should i get some kind of lubricant for them?

the trem is almost certainly "never used", so it shouldnt be a wear and tear problem.

anyone?

PS YES the strings are stretched.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That helped me alot. Not.

Mine IS tuned, balanced, and everything is locked down as it should.

strings are stretched.

only things i can imagine is that i need chapstick for string posts and whatever kind of oil on the 6 knife edges under the strings.

or the springs that are on it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You know that you don't need to lock the strings in very tight in order to have stable tuning in fact over-tightening can damage the locking nuts so be careful. I would say get the guitar set up professionally, if it is old it may be knife edges need sharpening or the bridge may be worn slightly where the strings leave the bridge?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did. I followed the steps on your site and it helped, its still not close to "good", its still sticking in a "darker" tuning, and when i yank it up, it becomes like a happier, brighter tuning. Nothing I can't live with..

I'll fix the smaller things like lubing and oiling next string change. thank you. ;-)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey i had that exact same problem with my RG1570 when i first bought it. I put it in to get a pro set up and the problem was still not fixed. So it was sent to the Ibanez UK distributer and they found out the problem. The pads of the locking nut were apparently not "ibanez's" even though it was bought straight from them.

So in short try changing the pads at the locking nut and the problem may be fixed. If that doesnt help them i dont know, i hope you get it sorted though

Cjb Scotland

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
The only things I can think of is that you're saddles are slipping; possibly on the G string. Make sure the small allen bolts at the head of the saddle are tight. Don't overtighten anything, though. It is pot metal.
If that's not it, open the back and see if the springs are moving freely.
If all else fails, have a professional check it out.
Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sometimes if the springs are not tensioned just right it won't go back to pitch. You might try loosening the spring claw tension screw on either side just a bit or maybe tighten just 1/4 a turn. Playing with that could help. Your bridge may look like it's set right but a little difference in claw tension could be all that is wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts