Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budget is $600-$700, and I'm thinking about an Ibanez SZ320MH, an ESP EC- or H-1000 (w/Duncans), or a Carvin (not sure which model). I like the idea of the Ibanez because with the money I save I could easily upgrade pickups. I would like to get a set of Bill Lawrence L-500's in there. What do you think? Anything else I should look at?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
For $600 - $700 US you have a lot of good guitars to look at. Especialy if you look at used ones as well. I would prolly get a used Strat but that doesn't sound like what your looking for. I own an SZ320MH and I like it.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I would go with a used RG5xx series 100%. That would only set you back about $350. Then you could change the pickups to DiMarzios, or the Bill Lawrences as you said (which are my favourite pickup by the way). Then you would have yourself a very good, professional, reliable guitar. You cannot go wrong with an RG550 or RG570, especially for those awesome secondhand prices.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
the.godfather said:
I would go with a used RG5xx series 100%. That would only set you back about $350. Then you could change the pickups to DiMarzios, or the Bill Lawrences as you said (which are my favourite pickup by the way). Then you would have yourself a very good, professional, reliable guitar. You cannot go wrong with an RG550 or RG570, especially for those awesome secondhand prices.
I second that ;).

Regards

André

·
Registered
623 Posts
Guys, if you look at the models the OP listed, it's clear they're looking for something with a Tune-o-matic. An RG5xx isn't going to be what they want.

I do agree with getting something used, though. There are any number of decent TOM guitars you can get for under $400 (including the SZ). Then you have plenty of money leftover to upgrade the pickups.

You might also look at Epiphone. And another neat option is picking up a nice Japanese Les Paul copy on That Auction Site.

·
Registered
623 Posts
dragsternj said:
Also would have a look at the Schecters. They are very well made and nice.
Oh, right. The SZs are basically Schecter copies anyway, right?

This thing is beautiful:

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=4

Street price seems to be around $700 and it comes with good pickups (Duncan JB and Jazz) so you wouldn't have to replace them. This has jumbo frets too. (Personal preference, obviously, but I found the frets on the SZs to be too small.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. The fret size on the SZ was the only reservation I had about going that way. I think I'll take a look at the RG's & Schecter's, too. I looked at the Agile LP copies, but the neck seemed a little narrow towards the nut.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would go with a rgt42 they offer it in a asortment of colors and styles you can get a hard tail or a edge along with sharktooth inlays prices from 499-600 at american musical supply. schecters are nice but they are hard to sell if it doesnt agree with you

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
There are some damn nice RGs in that range. I mean I could argue spending $600-700 for a good RG as opposed to a guitar twice the price, because they really are a good buy. RG1570 or a 2570 or a RG42FM (or whatever it is) if you want a nice neck-thru model, only problem with those is the Edge Pro II.

Do yourself a favor and find a used one in good condition.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a few "decent" guitars already, but like to check out what's on the market.

Schecter has so much for the money, and I don't even own one. Except for now, I'd recommend a good Schecter model to anyone. They're really nice in my opinion. I don't know how they do it for the price? Strat Man Dwight

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you like Bill Lawrence L-500, why not a Washburn Nuno Models?
The N2 is on your range (but replace the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan '59).
I own one (I bought it 11 years ago) and I can tell you it's a very good guitar for this price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately, my budget suffered a setback when I had to buy a new garage door yesterday , but at least that gives me a little longer to look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts