Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy, I'm going to buy my first ibanez. I'm looking at a laser blue ibanez rg770 dx made in 91 or 92 I think.

Do you think this would be a good choice? It's got a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a Dimarzio PAF pro in the neck. Are these pickups good the the RG type guitars? I'm new to ibanez's so I don't know alot about them. Will I be able to get a good Satriani and Vai sound from the guitar? I don't want a sig guitar, but I want to be able to get near their tones but still have my own visual and sonic Identity when I want it, if you get me?

Any opinions on this guitar would be great! I've yet to play it but I've seen pictures and it's gorgeous, it's 50 miles away from me, but if you guys say it's good I'll go for it, what would you say is a fair price to pay for the guitar? He told me to make him an offer, I'm in england so it's in £'s.

Thanks for any help!

Oh also he said the action is 1.5mm from the 12th fret on the 1st string, is this low for RG's?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, sounds very positive then I think I'll go down to buy it. The one I'm going for is in the same blue as yours jim! ... Is 1.5 mm low for the action?

Hah yeh that's deffinetly cool havin a brother with 30 guitars

Thanks kamakazie I was thinking of starting my offer at £350 and going up to over £400 depending on how nice it is.

·
Super Moderator
9,753 Posts
BTW, we got that blue one just two months ago for $400 US at the popular auction site. If you like it, you might be better off waiting for a minty one to show up at auction; save yourself a few bucks.

·
Administrator
7,498 Posts
rchip said:
Great, sounds very positive then I think I'll go down to buy it. The one I'm going for is in the same blue as yours jim! ... Is 1.5 mm low for the action?

Hah yeh that's deffinetly cool havin a brother with 30 guitars

Thanks kamakazie I was thinking of starting my offer at £350 and going up to over £400 depending on how nice it is.
I paid £400 for my stock red RG770DX a few years ago. It was in "very good" condition but has an exceptionally good action. I tried to get teh store to come down in price further but they wouldn't.

£400 was my maximum on that guitar and if the shop hadn't come down to that price I would have walked.

Hope that's of some use :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
rchip said:
It depends where you measure it from. I measure mine at the 12th fret and 1.5mm is just about as low as it gets without string compression becoming too obvious.

You'll find at the first fret the action can be less than 0.5mm, 1.5mm at the 12th and nearly 2.0mm at the 24th. I once tried to have a constant action across the length of the fretboard but having the nut high enough to get 1.5mm at the first fret just felt all wrong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.