Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recieved my first Jem, And Jem Swirl. I had a Jem VBK a week or so back, but I took it back to Sam Ash, due to the gap in the neck pocket.

This guitar was once owned by Shadow, I believe. As I have seen it in the Jem gallery. I bought it from Vwall Guitars.

It plays like butter, and sounds like god.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow! Very sweet and very lucky you! That's the first swirl with pink in it that I've seen that calls out to me! Enjoy that one!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have just recieved my first Jem, And Jem Swirl. I had a Jem VBK a week or so back, but I took it back to Sam Ash, due to the gap in the neck pocket.

This guitar was once owned by Shadow, I believe. As I have seen it in the Jem gallery. I bought it from Vwall Guitars.

It plays like butter, and sounds like god.

Nice herc Swirl!!! Its has a nice organic touch to it. very nice.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Funny, I played that about 3 weeks ago at Scotts. He's working on my Floral Pattern. And you've got more than just a swirl there bud..from what Scott told me, it's number TWO!!! I believe it started out as an 88DSY, pre PMC Jems. Very sweet and congrats!

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's definitely a nice swirl for sure, but I had a hard time swallowing the asking price of 5k. However, it could very well be worth it and I may be showing some ignorance. Are Herc swirls that coveted?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I had my resevations about buying it. However after getting it today and playing it, I can tell you it is worth every penny! It is easily the best playing guitar I have ever played. And the tone is to die for. Sounds a lot like a Paul Gilbert tone, which I love.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well, I had my resevations about buying it. However after getting it today and playing it, I can tell you it is worth every penny! It is easily the best playing guitar I have ever played. And the tone is to die for. Sounds a lot like a Paul Gilbert tone, which I love.
Understood. However, I think that for 1/4 of that you could've picked up a DY and had the same thing. Heck, even a mint LNG for 1/2 of that. Though, as I stated earlier, I could just be showing my ignorance in regard to Herc swirls. I'm very glad that you're pleased with it. :)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
That is theeeee....HOTTEST Herc swirl I have seen yet!

Awesome guitar and amazing swirl, enjoy your sweet machine. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jemboyee,
Well from what I was told by Scott, from VWall, and here in the Jem registry, that this is the second swirl that Herc ever did. I believe that this was his first sucessful swirl. So I would say that, that would make it very special.
I am not sure if I have seen any pics of his first.
Who ever said that I paid 5K for it? I may have, but I am not telling.

·
Vendor
26,432 Posts
Whatever the price was it was way over the money, but if you're happy with it then that was your decision. But, the bridge is way out of whack and the intonation is so far off I'm not sure how you can say it sounds good. Do some work on it and then see what it's like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rich,
Bridge is out of wack how? I take it that you have played this guitar. Are there things wrong with it that cant be fixed? I notice that the intonation is off. I am going to adjust it tomorrow. I adjusted the truss rod some.

·
Vendor
26,432 Posts
The angle is set flat like the action couldn't be lowered enough [typical on a lot of early JEMs] without adding a neck shim, which is the easy fix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rich,
By the angle being set flat, you mean the angle of the trem right? I adjusted the trem correctly, adjusted the intonation, lowered the action and adjusted the truss rod.
Seems better. I will have to check again in the morning to see if the truss rod need any further tweaking.

·
Registered
644 Posts
what's the paint scheme or colors you used? Is that purple or hot pink as the main color?

THat guitar is incredible looking. Might be my next paint job. WHere are you guys getting pyramid necks from?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts