Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. First post, first project.

I was inspired to buy the guitar my step dad had when I was a kid. I found the body and thought "wow, what a cool project that could be!" So I bought a neon purple RG570 body, no neck, no hardware, slightly scuffed, but not terrible.

I'm trying to game plan where to go next. I'm neck shopping first. In a perfect world I'd like to get a hold of the pyramid jem inlay neck (yeah, big surprise, I know) but have found a few RG770 and RG550 necks. So...

1. Are the wizards for the 770, 570, 550, all workable on this body?

2. I found a 570 neck in "grape ice" which looks a lot like neon purple, but can't find anything on if they're similar in person. They seem close? I'm ultimately cool mix and matching it for fun, so long as it's fun to play.

3. Is neck the best place to start? Buying online seems tricky and risky, but if they're crack free, is it a safe risk?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi chrisconsin. Welcome to Jemsite!

Purple neon 570's are great, good choice man.

1) Yes the older wizards would be fine but make sure it's an older style square heel neck joint neck. The purple 570's came out when the square heel joints were the norm. The newer necks are AANJ or 'all access neck joints' and I'm not sure if they would work or not. Can anyone else confirm that? With the older necks the screw holes will be in a rectangle formation. A newer neck would have a bubinga stripe and a trapezoidal screw hole layout.

2) Grape Ice is also a cool colour but not similar in real life to the purple neon. No harm in mixing it up though!

3) Crack free is a good start. Make sure there are lots of good quality pics, and ask questions if the description is lacking in detail, that will help. It might be better to look for a guitar that is being 'parted out'. It's less likely the neck will have been used as a baseball bat. Check for fret wear and gouges. Also, check if there is a return policy just in case! You might be lucky and find one locally on C'list which would be ideal since you could see it before purchasing. If you're really lucky you might find a Jemsite member with one going spare!

Post some pics of your efforts!

Good luck fella.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi there, Im also tring to pay you attention of body and neck matching. Since you are new, you shold have to know a few important things about necks and bodies.
There are two types of them and you cant mix them in any way. Lets strart.
1 SQUARE HEAL neck and body. Thats bolt on neck to the body with the metal neck plate and four screws simetiricly positioned in every corner of the neck plate. Thats the common neck joint for earlieir MIJ Ibanez guitars.
2. AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) body and neck. Also bolton construction. Neck is bolted to the body with 4 screws, but instand of metal neck plates it has ferul for each screw and the screws ara placed asimetric.
The most important thing of all is that if your rg570 body is square heal, then and the neck has to be square heal. If your rg570 body is AANJ then the neck has to be AANJ too. Otherwise you will not be able to joint them properly. PAY ATTENTION ON THAT.
Sorry for writting mistakes, but I think that You understud what Ive said.
Cheers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd call Grape Ice (my friend's got an RG560 in this) "similar" to Purple Neon (my RG570 is in this). It's noticeably redder, though. I don't know how quick/broad one's glance would have to be to see it as a matched headstock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate all the feedback! It's exactly what I needed to to get started with this project.

The neck variety is pretty crazy. I'm down with the mis-match but it would be cool to find a neon purple RG neck. Is is true Ibanez doesn't make replacements? I can't find any, so I'm guessing that's the case.

Bolting a neck on seems easy enough. So that's awesome. I'm interested to see what happens when it comes time do the electronics.

Body should be in the mail in the next few days. Pictures to come.

Thanks again for being so awesome! Shred machine to come soon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Finding just a neck for sale somewhere in a specific color and design is a shot in the dark at best for most. You might luck out by scouring e-b#y, but I'd be prepared to do a refinish on the headstock. Good luck and welcome to your new obsession!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Alright, friends. Good times this week - body came in the mail! It's pretty beaten up but it's a great starter body. Really dig the color. I've been looking around for a neck and have decided to just get whatever is in good shape from the 550 or 570 selection on ebay.

It was well packed. It seems like it was in a smoking home, but the smell came right off with a quick once over with a damp cloth. The neon purple came right back to life and reminded me why I loved this guitar as a kid.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a591/chucksconsin/photo-2_zpsb41e6b46.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a591/chucksconsin/photo_zps5923105e.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a591/chucksconsin/photo-1_zpsff4b2081.jpg

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a591/chucksconsin/photo-3_zps58646149.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts