Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post pics later. I just got done working on my granddaughter’s. I spent 4 hours on it, and now I am relaxing.

The first thing that I noticed on both the guitars was that the frets were sticking out quite a lot on the sides of the FB. And they were razor sharp.

I checked the relief on the neck after tuning it up. Then I took off all the strings except for the low E. I let the truss rod out to have the same amount of relief by using the string as the straight edge. Then I removed the low E and took the neck off. Masked off the neck, and then attacked it with a Diamond jewelers file. Then leveled, crowned, and polished all the frets.

It seems that the wood has shrunk. Every tuner and every screw was loose. So I tightened everything up, put the neck on, and restrung and finished the set up.

My arm hurts from all the hand filing, sanding and polishing. I don’t mind doing this kind of work as it keeps me busy, but as I don’t have a work bench, I prefer to work on the floor. I have arthritis so standing for long periods of time hurts, as does trying to get up from the floor after a couple of hours.

These guitars are going to be Christmas gifts. I was lucky to be able to get them when I did. My Christmas shopping is all done. I got the kids amps too. They delivered one of them today. The other should be here tomorrow.

As all the retailers are running out of stock on everything, I figured I had best get it now before it’s unavailable.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Seems like the wood they're using for the budget stuff isn't properly seasoned (Rich has also noted this with some higher end Premium stuff).

Given that they're struggling to get stuff out the door to dealers, they'll probably crank out as much as they can and send it off, so we might see more new guitars with these issues, or cut corners in the fit and finish, like you've had with the frets on your S and AZES. There was a gent posting here the other day on whose brand new Premium Jem 7V the hex nuts of the tuners were halfway backed out! They seem not to have been torqued down to begin with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts