Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got some good tones dialed in using the Slave Out of my Mesa Mark III and Ibanez PGM301!

Id love it if you guys checked out my contest entry video (this is actually the first guitar contest i've ever entered!)

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I thought it was great - deadly tone! I totally dig the song and the rhythm playing was great with lots of nice leads in there too...The only question I have is that I thought I heard a boo boo at about 2:22...I listened to the note a few times over and it didn't seem to fit - maybe that's the note that you were going for but that note seemed out of place...I hate to pick one note out of the whole song because all in all I thought it was really great Jay - nice work!!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there was - there were one or two. I felt I should leave them in instead of doing some retakes. I thought it felt more organic and real as a one take. Thanks for the compliments!! :)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yeah, there was - there were one or two. I felt I should leave them in instead of doing some retakes. I thought it felt more organic and real as a one take. Thanks for the compliments!! :)
I totally understand - sometimes when I'm recording if I play a lead that comes off nice and has really good feel then I think sometimes it is better to leave it cuz you might not capture the same spark and/or feel again...I'm fairly new to home recording and I was recording a song a few weeks ago and the first lead take I did felt really good but there were a couple of mistakes so I went back and re-did the leads which fixed the boo boos but I never seemed to recapture the original spark that the first lead take had even with the mistakes...can't win eh ;o)

Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Actually, there were alot of "out" notes in the lead. For example, the initial melody phrase has one at :30 and :38. Perhaps the dissonance was intentional, but in my opinion, the note lasts too long for that. Also, there is a bit a chromaticism between 1:42 and 1:44 that didn't really sound that great to me. A mistake, perhaps?

All in all, pretty good job. The song is rocking and the playing is good. I also like your video intro; showing you turning the equipment on was cool.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great tone and a cool melody. Good sense of humour in the video too which makes for a nice original feel. The odd error doesn't bother me at all, that's what live takes are about - the song still sounded great which is the main thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts