Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My guitar plays good now + new guitar mod

I can't believe I wasted all that money on these techs. The first one, I paid $75 and the setup was all wrong. The bridge was too forward, I had buzzing on the low strings. I took the guitar to him again, he adjusted the buzz was gone, but the bridge was even more forward. He didn't even stretch the strings at all. He didn't adjust anything else except changing the strings, adjusting the angle and action. He wrapped the strings around the pegs with just one turn rather 2 or 3. His reasoning was that it makes the guitar stay in tune better.

I went to another tech, I paid $90 and the bridge was too negative, the action was good, but had buzzing on the low string as well. I asked if he measures the action, said that he does it by feel. I measured with my string action gauge and the low strings were at 1mm at 12th fret, which is too low. At least he polished my frets.

I adjusted the angle myself and then the action after finally understanding how it has to be done and now I got it to be perfect. Angle is good where knife edges are perpendicular to post and my action is good. No buzzing.

1.5mm on high and 2mm on low.

I checked intonation, they are all good, except for the B string, which is a hair sharp, so I'm going to buy the Ibanez intonation tool, just to have and make my life easier.

At one point I wanted to install a trem stabilizer, but after reading some reviews saying that it can make return worse, decided to not do it anymore.

The one thing I haven't done yet is change the strings, as this was done by the tech.

If you look at the claw it looks uneven though. I think I need to adjust the angle a bit forward on the treble side, as the bridge angle photo I posted before where people said it was spot on, was from the low string side. The treble knife edge line looks a bit deeper than the body or maybe its because the action of the high strings is lower than low strings

·
Registered
70 Posts
A couple of my spring claws look like that too - unless you're a perfectionist I wouldn't worry. Good work going through the learning process btw! It's always satisfying being able to do these things yourself (and money saving of course)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't adjust that claw fella, it's at an angle cos the high strings aren't putting as much tension on as the low strings, adjust that and your tuning will be all over the shop!
Once you've tuned the guitar and locked the nut, you make tuning adjustments using the claw and spring tension. If it's not straight it's not straight, as long as its in tune and returns to tune after playing with the trem arm its balanced and its perfect.
Treble side of my bridge is a little lower than the bass side, but my action is perfect. It's normal.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
BigAl, Almost all of your post is nonsense:
Don't adjust that claw fella, it's at an angle cos the high strings aren't putting as much tension on as the low strings, .
The tension of the strings are reasonably constant high to low, with no meaningful difference in this context. The strings and the springs pull in opposite directions, you don't magically pull one side of a trem more than the other by offsetting the springs.

Once you've tuned the guitar and locked the nut, you make tuning adjustments using the claw and spring tension.
I don't know where to begin with this. Tune the guitar via the spring tension? No.

as long as its in tune and returns to tune after playing with the trem arm its balanced and its perfect.
If it isn't returning to the same position it started in, that has next to nothing to do with the springs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eerrrr, so do you undo your nut pads and use the tuners and go back and forwards for hours trying to balance a floating trem? THAT is nonsense mate. Take the back cover off, put 3/4s of a turn on one of your claw screws and tell me your guitar is still in tune yeah! Nonsense indeed......

I tune up with the trem blocked off, lock the nut off, and adjust it back into tune using the claw screws. The Treble side of both my trem claws is screwed further in than the bass side, more so on my fender cos its got 9-48s on and, believe me, there's more tension on the low e than the high e, hence the difference in the angle of the claw.

It takes me no more than 10 minutes to set up a floating trem that way. That's not nonsense, it's fact.

But thanks for the welcome, at least I know what I'm dealing with now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have a look at this bloke here tuning his guitar with the claw screws.......... Doesn't seem like nonsense to me, I've been doing it the same way for 20 years.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll concede your last point, not returning to tune after a dive bomb wouldn't be because of the springs, but you missed my point. What I was saying is that if its holding tune and returns to tune, don't worry about the angle the claws at, its balanced and that's all he needs to worry about. Don't take me for a simpleton again please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
E: .009" [PL] = 13.13 pounds
B: .011" [PL] = 11.01 pounds
G: .016" [PL] = 14.68 pounds
D: .024" [NW] = 15.77 pounds
A: .032" [NW] = 15.77 pounds
E: .042" [NW] = 14.77 pounds

Total Tension = 85.13 pounds

String tensions for a standard set of 9-42s

Pound a half of tension difference between low e and high e??

Am i still talking nonsense pal? Or is it starting to sink in yet that EVERYTHING i said in my orignal post makes sense?
I came here to share my knowledge, not be insulted by someone who knows nowt about nowt!

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
Have a look at this bloke here tuning his guitar with the claw screws.......... Doesn't seem like nonsense to me, I've been doing it the same way for 20 years.....

Another idiot on youtube.

Anybody can work anyway that works for them, but it doesn't show why he was tuning with the claw, and notice he does keep the claw parallel to the rout, not one side closer, but the trem angle is way off, which he doesn't correct, he adjusts the action instead. The trem angle is corrected with spring tension until it is right, the neck relief is right, and then set the action right. That is a correctly setup guitar.

You use the claw between setups to make quick adjustments in atmospheric changes. Cold guitar starts to run sharp as you play it, loosen the claw. This is altering the original setup but sometimes you don't want to spend the time making sure everything is perfect when the next song starts after the singer makes his next stupid joke.

Of course you setup a guitar by doing it the right way, and that, is not even close.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mate I'm sorry but I've set me strap up like for years. The reason it's high is because when you lean back on the bar you get a precise Bend. And it IS precise because I check mine with a tuner. It's high because it's floating and a standard start hasn't got a rout so it needs to be off the body. When the back of that bridge hits the body of the guitar it's a tone and a half on the g string. You don't have to guess like you do with a Floyd rose.
I don't set my Ibanez trem up like that but it's similar in that I tune it to pitch with the block blocked then use the springs to drop it back in to tune.
But that's irrelevant your man said he'd never heard anything like tuning with the spring claw. He's never set up a floating trem. He said string tension is even across the strings and the claw should be level. Between the nickel wound strings and plain strings on 9-42s there's a six pound difference, nearly 2 pound between high and low e. So there's a marked difference across strings. Admittedly more for me cos I use heavier bass strings than stock 9-42s but the slight difference in this lads pics looks right to me.
Incidentally this si the same lad that said in another thread it was you who didn't know how to set up a guitar.......... Each to their own. I just don't like being called out by a nugget who is commenting on summat he knows nowt about. He hasn't tuned a guitar with claw strings, and doesn't understand that once a floating trem is tuned you do everything g you can to leave the springs alone, he hasn't set up a floating trem and shouldn't be giving false info to a bloke who just wants advice. The wrong advice is the worst advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
And you didn't watch the full video, if you had you would know why the trem angle was all to ****. It doesn't finish like that. I'd send you a pick of the claw in me fender but the way you lot seem to go on on here I would just be accused of backing the bass side off for the foto to prove a point............ Truly pathetic, I've known nothing like this in my life

·
Vendor
26,504 Posts
OK, so he's taking a decked trem and making it float, where a neck shim and raising the trem while leaving it parallel to the knives is the correct way to float a decked trem. "Correct" being arguable because you can work any way that floats your boat.

And to argue that a solid baseplate feels more tension on one side than another while every bit of the springs tension is affixed to a solid block, if you're a spring engineer and metallurgist I'll gladly listen to your argument. Otherwise I call bunk. What you get it one spring more open and one more close, which changes feel as a more open spring opens more easily than a closed spring.

I recommend that you watch your language. If you want to **** [example] then post on TG or GP or SSO where it's tolerated. It hasn't been tolerated here since inception.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I apologise, it wasn't meant as a swear word. I'd said all to c0ck, perfect terminology in the Uk,not what you think I said. Which sort of proves my point. My word or advice, despite being correct, won't be accepted until I've got 2000 posts and blew smoke up the a$$ of all the moderators and anyone who has been around longer than me.
I signed up to this place because I enjoyed reading people's advice, the posts I'd read seemed to be written by people who knew what they were talking about, and they all love Ibanez guitars.......... More fool me.

I also asked about an extremely complicated wiring job I'm thinking about doing, because I know what I know and I know what I don't. On the evidence I've seen I'd rather let me dog wire the guitar up!

This poor kid here has forked out twice for a guitar setup, then spent days setting it up on the advice of you lot on here! I would of sent him a video and he would have saved 140 nicker and been done in an hour.

With advice like that, you lot would turn my guitar into a ****ing wall ornament! Get me chucked off I won't be back

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've seen loads of Fender Custom Shop Strats with 6 screw trems setup from the factory to be leaning forward. I think it's awful but It's definitely a pretty common sight on Strats. With my EVH Frankie I shimmed the neck though, to have it floating just enough to vibrato, I don't need any pull-up anyway and if you lean it forward it puts the trem arm in a horrible position and I find it doesn't return as consistently, at least for my preferences.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Am i still talking nonsense pal? Or is it starting to sink in yet that EVERYTHING i said in my orignal post makes sense?
I came here to share my knowledge, not be insulted by someone who knows nowt about nowt!
Yes, you are still talking nonsense. You are demonstrably wrong. Calm the insults too.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
Just a note to remind folks to play nicely. It’s probably going to fall on deaf ears, or maybe not even be seen. But this way I can say I warned folks... before I ban them :D

Just sayin’

1 - 16 of 16 Posts