Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sent back my JS1200 to have a warped neck replaced. The guitar was in perfect condition (other than the neck) and was covered under warranty. I get it back today and there are major dents and scratches (3 total) in the paintwork!!

Two of the three are right under the neck at the joint. One is a huge shallow dent which looks like a blunt tool would make... as if they used a screwdriver or something as leverage to pry off the neck. The other is a brand new stress crack right on the corner of the neck pocket (there were none before I sent it).

The third is a clearcoat gash about a half inch long right on top edge of the guitar (not on the face), about where your forearm would rest.

Granted, none of these scrtaches/dents are even visible when playing the guitar, but I am still very upset about it. That thing was in mint condition before I sent it off!

So, after calling Hoshino and discussing my options I am entertaining the thought of sending my guitar to an authorized repair shop (location can be anywhere) to get the paintwork repaired. We don't have one here in Memphis, and I asked if I could send to a local luthier but it has to be an authorized repair shop.

I'd much rather do this than send it back to those people. Anyone know of a good shop that is authorized to do Ibanez repair? I want Ibanez to pay for it, but I don't want the idiots that did this to get near my guitar again. Besides, they'll probably just replace the body anyway, and I like the sound of this guitar... so I'd much rather keep it.

Thanks for any info!

Ryan

EDIT: Here are some photos..

Neck pocket damage, complete with stress crack.

And the top side damage. Sick, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Good advice!

However well you get it re-finished it will still be a re-finished guitar which is not the all original mint JS1200 that you had and still should have. It would also de-value it.

Chances are a replacement one will sound pretty damn close if not exactly like yours so that's gotta be the best option.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ouch. I just saw those pics you posted. That's a bummer.:(
Seriously. Ibanez should do something about that. I'd get a new JS 1200 CA.
You could re-live the glorious moment of when you first got it all over again. :D

·
Vendor
26,521 Posts
Absolutely unacceptible, and an authorized repair center would only do a finish touch up at best. Only the distributor would replace the body, and only if you twisted their arm hard enough.

The NJFC is most likely from shipping. I'm having a very tough time getting 1200's this year without them, and the only change? The case!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to call AJ back tomorrow and ship it back to them for a body replacement. He actually (to my surprise) offered to replace the body on the phone today... so I'm going to take him up on the offer. It's just disappointing, I guess. I can't believe someone would do that to a guitar and send it out like that as if nothing happened. I imagine the tech didn't want to take responsibility for the mistake. It's pretty obvious, though, that little care was taken with my guitar.

Rich, I shipped my JS in the crappy molded plastic case that all Ibanezes come in now. Could that case really be contributing to NJFC? I just figured it was the hot weather... I hate shipping instruments this time of the year. Seems like spring and fall would the ideal seasons for shipping guitars.

Ryan

·
Registered
962 Posts
That seriously sucks about the finish.

But. . . is it REALLY worth getting a new body for it? Scratches and chips will happen, unless it sits in its case or a display box. . . Joes guitar have plenty of scratches.

I would just leave it be. . .if you plan to actually PLAY that guitar, then you cant protect it forever.

Thats just my opinion, its your guitar. Good luck.

The first chip always hurts the most. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about that, Gex. I am going to sleep on it tonight and decide in the next day or two. For now the plan is to send it back. It is the principal of the matter more than anything. I have plenty of great guitars to play in the meantime, so it wouldn't put me out to send it off for as long as it takes for them to fix it.

This type of shoddy work shouldn't be rewarded. I want the tech who did this (his name is Bryan) to answer to his superiors for this retardation. If it gets sent back, at least some questions will be asked, even if he does deny doing it (I am sure he will). :rolleyes:

RR

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Gex said:
That seriously sucks about the finish.

But. . . is it REALLY worth getting a new body for it? Scratches and chips will happen, unless it sits in its case or a display box. . . Joes guitar have plenty of scratches.

I would just leave it be. . .if you plan to actually PLAY that guitar, then you cant protect it forever.

Thats just my opinion, its your guitar. Good luck.

The first chip always hurts the most. :)
Thats true, but this story is entirely different. Bumps and scratches are fine, as long as YOU have caused them! rrhea didnt cause them himself, Hoshino did it when they shipped it. And for me, as Rich said, thats unacceptable. Whatever you do rrhea, dont just accept it as Gex suggested for gods sake. This damage was not your fault, it was theirs! So that calls for a replacement or whatever. And not just a crappy touch-up. If YOU had done the damage, it would be slightly different.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
the.godfather said:
Thats true, but this story is entirely different. Bumps and scratches are fine, as long as YOU have caused them! rrhea didnt cause them himself, Hoshino did it when they shipped it. And for me, as Rich said, thats unacceptable. Whatever you do rrhea, dont just accept it as Gex suggested for gods sake. This damage was not your fault, it was theirs! So that calls for a replacement or whatever. And not just a crappy touch-up. If YOU had done the damage, it would be slightly different.
Big agreement. Don't just let it slide.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sniper, there is no way I can know if this Bryan guy did the damage himself or if it was an assistant or another tech. All I know is that he was in charge of replacing the neck... in my opinion that makes Hoshino responsible for the damage. Somebody screwed up and didn't fess up and sent back a damaged guitar.

Unless UPS opened it on the way back from PA and did the damage, then repacked it before it got back to me, then it had to have happened in Hoshino. Very unlikely it was UPS. Funny how most of the damage is concentrated around the neck area, which is where the work on the guitar took place. I found a couple more chips around the neck pocket last night. :rolleyes:

It is getting replaced. I've made up my mind about it.

Ryan

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yeah, I thought about it some more after posting, I agree. The bumps should be your bumps and dings. **** like that shouldnt slide.

I too think it should be replaced. (Then you can start dinging it! :) )

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Well I dont blame you for being mad about the whole thing. What made you send the guitar back in the first place? Was the neck honestly that bad? where did you purchase the guitar from? Some more info on this would be really cool

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
rrhea said:
sniper, there is no way I can know if this Bryan guy did the damage himself or if it was an assistant or another tech. All I know is that he was in charge of replacing the neck... in my opinion that makes Hoshino responsible for the damage. Somebody screwed up and didn't fess up and sent back a damaged guitar.

Unless UPS opened it on the way back from PA and did the damage, then repacked it before it got back to me, then it had to have happened in Hoshino. Very unlikely it was UPS. Funny how most of the damage is concentrated around the neck area, which is where the work on the guitar took place. I found a couple more chips around the neck pocket last night. :rolleyes:

It is getting replaced. I've made up my mind about it.

Ryan
Based on how UPS does business, I wouldn't be surprised if the delivery guy didn't open the case and try chewing the strings off the guitar himself...

I'd send it back. You bought a new guitar, you should expect nothing less than a new guitar.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
While on one hand, Hoshino definitely shouldn't be dinging up your body when they're doing a neck swap, on the other that's hardly what I'd call "horrible" dings. If you think there's something special about the particular peice of wood that your JS is made out of, keep it - tone matters WAY more than a few small nicks, and in light of the size relative to the neck and relative to guitar stand, that's pretty small.

I mean, they're guitars - they're instruments, not collectables.

If you do decide to get it replacd, though, see if you can get them to send you a replacement body, but let you keep the original. Then, stash the original away in case you ever decide to sell it. ;)

·
Registered
496 Posts
I can't wait until my JS1000BTB is about 10 years old and has a load of the paint and wood chipped and scratched off... a beaten up JS would look sweet!

Am I mad? Quite possibly.

Do I get worked up over scratches/dings? Certainly not. I have more important things to worry about... such as buying more guitars!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.