Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Ibanez RG350DX of Evilbay and have had it for just about a week and I have to say I really like it a lot. I bought this to modify since I didn't want to alter my new Jem7VWH. May be it is just my inexperience, but I really cannot tell much difference between the sound and playability. Obviously the trem is not as versitile, and besides the asthetics, it sure seems like the same guitar, just 10x less expensive. Anyone else have both and feel this way? Hopefully I have not committed a Jem faux Paux!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I've never played a JEM, but I've played a Prestige Ibanez and didn't notice much difference between it and my RG370DX (atleast not enough difference for me to pay $400 more for it). But having never played a JEM, I can't really say how great of a difference there should be. Of course, I would think tonewise there would be a pretty good difference seeing as one guitar has EVOs and the other has INF pickups.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the neck and feel of the guitar is the major difference imo. the lower end rg's have the wizard ii neck, which i dont like very much. pickups and especially the bridge quality will have alot to do with the price difference.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i played on a prestidge 2550 and compared to a jem.....dont feel the much differences and i perfer the 2550 over the jem..simply becaz the one at the store is abit worn out....but the features on a jem affects the price..

i duno about the 350dx....but i can feel the uncomfort when compared to the prestidges

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The ability to feel differences in neck profiles, PU sond and other features are relative terms, IMO.
I can notice differences about 2 different 7wh, so...
BTW, i cannot play any other tremolo than Lo Edge, Lo Pro Edge or Gotoh.
I never tried a Schaller/OFR or the new Edge Pro,
but Lo-TRS and EP II sucks on my hands!
Tubarão.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Tubarão Guitars said:
The ability to feel differences in neck profiles, PU sond and other features are relative terms, IMO.
I can notice differences about 2 different 7wh, so...
BTW, i cannot play any other tremolo than Lo Edge, Lo Pro Edge or Gotoh.
I never tried a Schaller/OFR or the new Edge Pro,
but Lo-TRS and EP II sucks on my hands!
Tubarão.
You don't like the old Edge?

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I think the 350DX has the Edge 3 - cheap version of original edge.

I had an RG370DX and traded up to a Jem 7DBK - The Jem was 4 times more expensive than the RG but I think it was worth it
> the necks are bit similar but the Jem feels better
> Edge pro is much more stable and better feeling than the Edge Pro 2
> Build quality is much better on the Jem
> Cool finish, Monkey grip & lion's claw
> Breed pickups are much better than crappy Korean ones

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hey now, don't knock it until you try it. The RG350DX is a great bang for your buck guitar and to me JEMs are just ludicrously overpriced. I'd much rather have one of the high end Prestige RGs or even better a J-custom....

Mmmmmm......J-custom.........

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd have to agree that JEMs are overpriced in the new market. I couldn't drop $1800 on a JEM7V either. But we're just talking about how guitar A plays compared to guitar B here. A J-custom would be nice hehehe...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
btangel said:
haha I don't see how you could compare a lowly RG350DX to a JEM.
Having both, I was not expecting much out of the RG. I only bought it because it LOOKED similar to my JEM and I didn't want to hack that up to add a sustainer. Playing them both through a GNX4 I can hardly tell the difference. I am very happy with the RG, and can't wait to rip into it!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
i am more than happy with my rg 570, it is one of the first versions with non aanj, i payed 175 for it with a prestige case. I love it to death, it is the best guitar i have ever got, i have an ibanez usrg30 which is nice but i like the 570 a little more.

Having never played a jem either, i couldn't compare the rgs i have to it, but i can say that the usrg30 with a lo-pro and the 570 with the edge are much higher quality than the lower end rgs. The neck is another important factor, the 570 has the wizard and the usrg30 has a special neck, it is a mm or two thicker than the wizard but it still beats the hell out of the wizard II which is not to my liking. Ibanez is kind of stupid for doing away with the wizard but i guess if they put the neck that everybody wants on higher dollor gutiars they make more money. So i figure that the jem neck isn't too much different from a wizard, and that most of the higher end models all have necks simular to the ones on my guitars.

175 and 500 for my guitars as compared to 2000, i dont think i will look to buy a jem ever not as long as i have what i have.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Falcon Wing said:
Having both, I was not expecting much out of the RG. I only bought it because it LOOKED similar to my JEM and I didn't want to hack that up to add a sustainer. Playing them both through a GNX4 I can hardly tell the difference. I am very happy with the RG, and can't wait to rip into it!
Even with the INF PUPs?! I played both through a RK DS-1 ultra and a half stack Crate tube amp and the INFs eat dirt compared to the Evos.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yeah, the INF pickups are definitely an improvement over the old powersound pickups but they aren't even in the same league as EVOs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
we can talk about it for as long as we want ,but to us jem freaks there is nothing like a Jem,to me it`s the perfect mix between sound, playability ,and looks. i love my GMC!!!!(even more than my 90th)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
btangel said:
yea the EVOs and INFs are a world's difference. INFs sound like laser guns ><~
I agree. The INFs arent actually horrible sounding pickups but you can do a lot better. A lot of my friends have bought RGs and put in their own pickup choices, a Tone Zone in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck is a common one from what I have seen and I have to say that sounds great!

What I like about the Evolutions is that they bring out the sound of the player. If you suck then your tone wont be great but if you are good its going to sound killer. Makes me put more care into my playing :)

And some of the RGs are a decent budget version of the Jem too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts