Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I bought an 80s-era RG560 sight-unseen online, just arrived yesterday. I wanted to get back into an RG560 because I had one that I bought new in 1988 and stupidly sold in 2011. This one that I just bought was relatively cheap, and I'm on a budget. So I took the risk. It arrived safely, and has some issues but seems to be an OK guitar. I'm not a collector but will be gigging this thing frequently. I have a few questions for you guys.

The neck has a faint "V" crack under the nut--I guess I'll use thin CA glue to stabilize that. And it has a neck pocket crack, which I'm not sure if I should even worry about--maybe use more CA glue there?

The biggest thing that bugs me is that the neck is slightly misaligned, such that in the upper register, the high E string is inset a couple mm inward on the fingerboard, while the low E is closer to the edge. I removed the neck, and there are no shims in there. I have never shimmed a neck before, but I assume that I'll have to shim it on one side to get the neck in line. I've read that I may have to slightly widen the bolt holes in the body to allow for the movement to realign it...that sounds a little sketchy.

The body has a red sparkle (not metal flake--but glitter/sparkle) paint job that *appears* to be original, but I don't think there was ever a stock sparkly red for these RGs. It is interesting that the neck pocket does not have the Ibanez RG560 model number, but rather has "NAMM" hand-written in marker. It's definitely an RG560 body, but I wonder if this was maybe a sample or factory second or something like that. Also, the Wizard neck doesn't have an RG550 or 560 model number, but rather has an "IBNZ P.S. 698R" number. I don't know if the neck and body were originally matched with each other.

Also interesting is that the previous owner replaced the pickups and electronics with Jackson J50 and J200 pickups and the JE-1500 active electronics (basically a wah-like tone sweep). The humbucker was fine when I received the guitar yesterday, but now seems microphonic, very thin and low-output. I guess I'll have to replace it, and I'll probably rip out the JE-1500 board and pots, sell it, and put in standard 500K pots and a new humbucker.

If anyone has any tips/suggestions about any of this, please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Use some proper wood glue like titebond to set the crack. CA will not be strong enough.

And with the misalignment, try loosening the neck screws, shift the neck slightly until the strings have better alignment, and then tighten once it's all sitting more evenly. There is most likely enough play in the neck joint on the body.

·
Registered
558 Posts
lone phantom covered it pretty well...as for the electronics, check to make sure the battery is good before ripping them out...and yeah thats a strange choice of pickups for a 560...d.m.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks to you both. After I posted my questions, I did some more research and was able to realign the neck (had to use a very thin shim).

The bridge pickup was indeed dead, I took it out and tested it on a multimeter (5.3k ohms). I have a used Duncan Distortion on the way to replace it. I chose that pickup because that's what I had in my old 560 back in my metal days and just thought I'd take that trip down memory lane :). I haven't played with a ceramic-magnet pickup for a long time, so should be interesting. As for the single coils (stacked single coils, which were too tall and interfered with the strings once the action was where I wanted it), I'll replace those someday. Will just wire it with volume pot to bridge pickup for now.

As for the neck crack, I had already gotten some CA glue in there before I got your reply. If/when it breaks lose or the crack gets worse, I'll probably take it to a local luthier and have him open it up and glue it properly.

Loving the neck!

Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.