Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I would sum it up as more powerful yet more clear and defined, too. The L-500XL in the bridge position is loud & raunchy without being muddy at all. It seems to really push the amp in overdrive, and is somewhat compressed (which I like). The L-500R in the neck is also pretty loud but with a darker, more "classic" vibe. The stock pickups were pretty hot, but these are a little hotter and I would say more balanced and clear. It's hard to make a direct comparison because I didn't record the stock setup but to me these pickups sound better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the color! The red really looks good with the cream faux binding on the body, and also looks good with the black pickup rings (better than the stock chrome, IMHO). I was torn between this color and the gold amber burst, but I knew what pickups I wanted and thought it would look best with the red.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm currently playing through the POS practice amp that came with my first guitar. It's 7 screaming watts of solid state fury through an earth-moving 5.5 inch paper cone. Needless to say, I'm now shopping and saving for a new amp. Depending on budget, I'll probably either go with a Roland Cube 30, one of the Crate Palomino series, or a Peavey Classic 30, which is probably going to be out of my price range. I'm tempted to try one of the new Randall combos (RX30D, I think?) but there isn't a dealer within 200 miles of me.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
aero90 said:
I'm currently playing through the POS practice amp that came with my first guitar. It's 7 screaming watts of solid state fury through an earth-moving 5.5 inch paper cone. Needless to say, I'm now shopping and saving for a new amp. Depending on budget, I'll probably either go with a Roland Cube 30, one of the Crate Palomino series, or a Peavey Classic 30, which is probably going to be out of my price range. I'm tempted to try one of the new Randall combos (RX30D, I think?) but there isn't a dealer within 200 miles of me.
An old 2nd hand Peavy Bandit is the path you seek..tis a right of passage into the "big" amp world.
;)

Ben

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.