Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, she might not be a top of the line MIJ 7V, but to me shes a mighty fine axe! Say hello to my brand new Ibanez Jem 555 (or hiss at a Korean made guitar, take your pick!!!)

Finally was able to take her home today after being setup by my local techs here in Adelaide at Fretco. You might not be able to see from the pic, but I paid to get the Gotoh Foyd Rose installed to replace the shotty edge III the thing was pre installed with. Plays like a dream, I have 9 gauge high e strings on it and honestly, it feels too light, I might actually go up to the 10s next set. Mmmmmmm....... God shes feeling good....... The trem swap was worth every cent.......

So Im a Jem owner at last, albeit a "Junior Jem" owner!

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
IMO the only *bad* thing about the 555 was the trem (and maybe that's been improved recently with the Edge III), so, if you fix that, nice guitar!
Welcome Jem owner.
Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you Vim, if you can get them on sale, they are a great guitar, the Evo pickups are out of this world. I got it 45% off from the ticket price because it sat in the shop for like a year and half....... The Edge III is certainly a step above the LoTRS models in the 90's, but the cheaper components mean it would have a limited knife edge life, even if setup properly. So I figured that for about $300 AUD more, I could get a Gotoh on their and it would last me a good ten years - seemed like an easy decision.

UV-7-BK, don't worry, shes cranked up nice and loud! Did my best rendition of For the love of God as an initial workout on the frets, with bonus Vai facials.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
lol it gets a lotta stick, but ive got an edge 3 in my 555 and it never goes outta tune, ive had edge 3's on all my guitars and ive yet to have a problem, sweet axe tho man, i muist say i prefer the 555 to the jem

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice axe man.

I've played a 555 for a year or two (still have have it) Really nice esp. with a real Floyd.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Congratz! I like the jem 555 as well. And I think it plays well too and I've owned a 7v and I've got the 77BFP to say that the 555 is a good guitar. Congratz again :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments guys, Ive been playing all weekend and I just keep saying to myself that after it being setup right, it is easily the best guitar I have ever played......

The Gotoh is just awesome, Ive barely gone out of tune even after some big whammy......

The sustain is fantastic.........

Thank you Mr. Vai for the best guitar on the planet.........

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cheers postofficebuddy, yeah I did know that an edge pro would be a direct swap as well. I actually prefer the Gotoh myself, hence why I installed it on the Jem.....
cool, just thought you might'nt know that, i only found out the other day, what you prefer about it, im considering a new trem?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool, just thought you might'nt know that, i only found out the other day, what you prefer about it, im considering a new trem?
I think it's all down to personal preference really - I love the Gotoh's, hence why I got it installed. But I would think the Edge Pro or Original Floyd Rose would be just fine. Try them all out for yourself to see what you like......... They are all good picks........ Here in Aus the Gotoh was also the cheapest option, especially in light of the recent devaluation of AUD!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice guitar. I've been rocking my 555bk since 1997. I put in a lo pro edge and brought this guitar to life!! I did have to dremel the sides of the cavity a hair to get it not to rub, but the guitar is fulla mojo anyways...

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Gotoh is great value, plus I've found them on an online Aus luthier site for under $200! Great bargin for us AUS members, seeing as quite often they are around $300 in most places.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gotoh is great value, plus I've found them on an online Aus luthier site for under $200! Great bargin for us AUS members, seeing as quite often they are around $300 in most places.
Geez, I paid $300 AUD for mine - can you PM me the site LonePhantom, I have a JS100 that has a LoTRS that needs replacing - $200 AUD for a Gotoh is incredible value.....

·
Registered
403 Posts
AussiePGFan, Did you get the Gotoh from Fretco??? $300 is a bit steep for a Gotoh. They are great trems, but not for $300. Frteco is a great shop, but not the cheapest in Adelaide, that's for sure.

I bought an Original Floyd Rose for $285 from a shop in WA about 2 months ago for a EVH Franky that I'm doing. There is no way the Gotoh should cost more than an OFR.

Here is a link for cheaper Gotoh's.

http://luthierssupplies.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=41_356_362&products_id=942

Congrtas on your new Jem.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts