Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
That neck looks incredible, im actually planning to dye/stain my Roadstar II RS140 neck as it has some damage i need to repair but i want to try hide it when its finished.

Ive literally got zero experience with woodwork however i read that maple is quite difficult to stain/dye because the grain is so tight?

Interested to know what you used? Mines is a 1 piece maple neck, i was going to keep the fretboard maple but dye the rear of the neck if possible.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That neck looks incredible, im actually planning to dye/stain my Roadstar II RS140 neck as it has some damage i need to repair but i want to try hide it when its finished.

Ive literally got zero experience with woodwork however i read that maple is quite difficult to stain/dye because the grain is so tight?

Interested to know what you used? Mines is a 1 piece maple neck, i was going to keep the fretboard maple but dye the rear of the neck if possible.
The neck is , Quilted Mahogany, Wenge, Maple strips and Tamo Ash veneer on head stock rear.

Maple is a bit of a pain to dye. I've managed it by putting a strong solvent in the dye to help penetration.
If you'v got a damaged head stock repair just use black leather dye to do a black fade on the heal side and the volute side.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Unfortunately mines has a chunk out of the top side of the neck at the 6th fret, you cant feel it at all when playing the guitar so i thought it would do well as a repair project, ive got some maple veneer cut roughly to shape already and il have to fill the fretboard face with a maple dust and wood glue mixture to make it flat again.

The purpose of the guitar is to be a project to satisfy my own curiosity anyway. Il also be removing all the frets aswell as some have deep gouges and others are as flat as a pancake, by the time you try level them and dress them up there wont be much fret left, i had a trial run using two razor blades to wedge the frets up and out and it seems to work quite well.

I thought your neck was a 3 piece maple which is why i was wondering how you managed to stain it without looking patchy, ive narrowed it down to leather dye or a water based stain. I was also going to do mines black until i realised i wouldn't see my top fret markers :p

Wood Table Rectangle Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory
Wood Bumper Gadget Automotive exterior Gas

1 - 11 of 11 Posts