Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a used ibanez 570 coming in and i think its pretty much stock, what changes should i have done to it, im planning on putting some emgs in it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would put Dimarzio Steve's Special to the bridge and Dimarzio Air Norton to the neck but that's just what i would do. Strap locks maybe if you don't have allready.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well yeah, why not EMG's, they are very mid range pickups very good ones. What kind of EMG's you are going to put in? 81 and 85 or 81 and 81?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Does anyone know if they make an EMG set that comes with a EMG 81/85 and a EMG single coil? And if so, can anyone tell me of an online site where I can price and order them?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont no if the do, u can order a custom pack, go to emgs website and there are websites on the front page whare u can buy them

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
I'd go the 81 - SA - 85 in the RG, or if you want to save some cash and still have pretty much the same sounds you'd get from this combo go an 81 - 89 and leave the single coil out. The 89 is a split pickup where as a humbucker it sounds like an 85, and when split to single coil it's an SA. Go on to http://www.emginc.com and have a listen to the samples for these pickups.

·
Registered
809 Posts
SA is pretty popular single coil EMG. Maybe the best from EMG as single coil. Is there single coil sized humbuckers from EMG's, i haven't heard anything ever about single coil sized active humbucker?

·
Registered
89 Posts
All EMGs are humbuckers in the sense that they are hum-canceling. They all have two coils, just the "single coil" models the coils are stacked on top of eachother instead of side by side.

From EMG website.

Coils

It's a balancing act to achieve the style of tone you want. In all cases, EMG Pickups have two coils. This is necessary for noise reduction, while providing the vehicle for the distinctive EMG tone. Coils are sometimes placed side by side, or stacked, but in both cases each coil is treated independently by the preamp. Instead of having the coils in series or parallel with a single output, they are electronically summed so their attributes can be controlled individually.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I would put a Tone Zone in the bridge and PAF Pro in the neck and paint a naked woman on the body (or pay someone who CAN paint to do it!)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What constitutes a "good clean" is debatable. I'd say that you can definitely get decent cleans from EMGs if you learn to ride the volume knob. Also, I think that the 89 would give you more tonal options just because you not only get a single coil but you get one in the neck position.

·
Registered
881 Posts
i'd go for some evos in the neck and bridge. i never bothered to change the middle single coil on my 550. also, get a dimarzio cliplock and one last idea; when all this is done, send the guitar to me so i can "look after it for you" :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
EMGs are excellent for metal, but usually fall short on other genres. I'd go for either Breeds, Paf Pro's, TZ, AN, or Satch's pickups. The Cliplock idea wouldn't be bad either.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
guitardevil2005 said:
i have a used ibanez 570 coming in and i think its pretty much stock, what changes should i have done to it, im planning on putting some emgs in it.
you should strip your 570 down to it's bare components, and evilbay each of them separately. yes, even the string retaining bar!

then you'll have enough money for three 570's!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
damo7v said:
you should strip your 570 down to it's bare components, and evilbay each of them separately. yes, even the string retaining bar!

then you'll have enough money for three 570's!
Repeat this steps for five or so times and you'll get a JEM :lol:.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.