Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i am really starting to dislike my 8470

When it arrived, the strap-pin screw came bent and loose, the fingerboard was dry as hell, the pickups were crooked, the trem angle was completely off, and the trem-arm holder was wobbling.

I've fixed all of those, but i cannot get a horrible buzz out of the first fret on low E. All the other notes play beautifully, but I have adjusted the action, the truss rod, tweaked with the trem angle, but no matter what i do, it is still there. Even when I raise the action WAY high, it is still buzzes.

Is a fret dress my only chance? Or could it be that the groove in the nut is too deep?

Please help

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Maybe a very thin nut shim on the bass side will help. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
A nut shim would only help if you had buzz when playing strings open only. And guessing how far the guitar shipped, I wouldn't expect the trem angle to be right anymore. If you're not confident in setting it up yourself I'd suggest taking it in for a pro-setup. I have almost no doubt an accomplished guitar tech could remedy the buzz, esp. on such a high level guitar. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
^^^ I'll second a proper set-up with fresh strings. Let us know how this goes for you.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
its all broken its ruined!! just send it to me and I'll trash it for ya....... ;) (sooner or later I might get some1 >_<) nah just do what these guys were saying, get a fresh setup with fresh strings

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know how to setup a guitar, i just want to know if there could be any other possible solutions other than getting the frets leveled.

I think i want to get her PLEKed

·
Registered
787 Posts
If its just the first fret, then a good luthier can fix that fret without taking a file to the whole thing. Any good tech can put a straightedge on there and figure quickly if it is a single high fret. Many of the JEM10's had frets that popped up(most of mine) and the easy fix was to superglue them in. Maybe you just have a popped fret? Don't give up on it just yet.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah you certainly don't have to get the whole board levelled, sounds like you just have a high fret point on the 2nd fret that needs knocking down slightly. look up the fret rocker thing on stewmac, it's actually probably possible to fix it yourself with fine steel wool. it won't be recrowned but that won't matter much..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts