Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

So i finally got around to trying a swirl paint job on one of my guitars. I went for the OMC type swirl. Enjoy some pictures.

This is how it looked before I screwed it up with foil tape. LOL

Here is after I removed the foil tape. ~facepalm~

Ready for stripper

Day one, just the face paint removed. Back and sides to go:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
And after she went for a dip

And after it had a nice warm place to dry

Here is the video of me doing the dip.
Enjoy

Tomorrow is when I clear coat her.

Or not. :S

·
Registered
412 Posts
its always hard to tell exactly how the paint job has come out through photos, because u never know if the camera has enhanced or reduced the actual colours, but considering its your first attempt, that thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

congrats dude! :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
awesome job man!!! I thought after you moved the first drops of paint in the bucket, you should have dipped it then but then quickly, all the black moved to the side...Really nice first time though. I may work up the guts this spring and try to do this myself.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
looks good but you better wait at least a week for that to dry you used a LOT of paint, I know this is your first but next time you should of stopped after you added the black the first time.

It was perfect at that point.

Nice first attempt though but that stuff needs to dry quite a bit before clearing.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks good but you better wait at least a week for that to dry you used a LOT of paint, I know this is your first but next time you should of stopped after you added the black the first time.

It was perfect at that point.

Nice first attempt though but that stuff needs to dry quite a bit before clearing.
Are you sure? Even though it looks and feels pretty dry right now??

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After looking at the guitar again today. There is still a couple swirls that are tacky. Gonna let it dry a day or 2 and see what happens then.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Nice swirl job.

It sure seems like there are different methods. I think at least one dipper on YT worked with water that looked deep black at first and added color to that.

(Like here:
)

How'd you remove the paint? I'm still wanting to strip an Ibanez myself. I may even attempt a swirl.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
So has anyone done experiments to see what happens if you twist the guitar in a circle while dipping it?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice swirl job.

It sure seems like there are different methods. I think at least one dipper on YT worked with water that looked deep black at first and added color to that.

(Like here:
)

How'd you remove the paint? I'm still wanting to strip an Ibanez myself. I may even attempt a swirl.
Well luckily there was already paint removed from a freak foil tape accident, but other than that I just used regular stripper. It took a few days to get the whole guitar though since it is so cold at night we could only work for a few hours before the sun went down and then the stripper kinda takes too long to take a effect.

Also about spinning the guitar while dipping. That sounds like a pretty cool idea. My friend wants his squier repainted so we might do another swirl soon. Probably within the new couple weeks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts