Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Hoping you can help me identify a guitar! The other guitarist in my band has an Ibanez from the late 70s that he picked up second hand and has never been able to find any info on. I've been doing some digging but seem to have run out of clues.

See below for photos - I've figured out that it's a Performer series made in September 1979 (based on the serial number) but none of the old catalogues on the Ibanez site refer to a PF155 model - only PF150, PF160, PF200, etc. Visually, it looks like it has the same specs as a PF150 but I'm curious to know why the truss rod cover specifically says PF155!

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Brown Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument

Wood Gas Font Metal Electric blue

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated - he has no plans to sell it or anything, it'd just be cool to know more about this mystery model!

Many thanks :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
That's an interesting one, looks stock too. The main difference seems to be the following the 155 has a ash body and figured maple veneer, while the 150 is spec'd as mahogany with birch veneers; and it has the tri-sound switch (series-parallel-single coil) for one of the pups (150 is regular LP style wiring). Maybe another difference is colours – the 150 came in a couple, none of which are amber/natural like your mate's guitar.

I've heard of one other 155 which has a serial I790095, so it seems like there were some made (perhaps a consecutive batch). Catalogues don't tell the full story a lot of the time, especially on spot models and short runs, either of which might be locale/country specific.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts