Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I would like your opinion on an Ibanez I have won in auction a while back.
Neither me nor the seller have any idea what is the series of this guitar, henceforth the title of this thread.

The neck is supposedly 1999 MIJ neck, the stamp on the neck joint states RG480AH. The body is a mystery to me though.

The stamp on the neck pocket states RG450BX, and I have found not info on this model. I tried to look it up on the ibanez wikia by the colour (which is flat dark purple without any metalic flaking in it), but without any success.

The most reasonable answer, at least to me, is that the guitar is mismatched neck and body, a parts-RG, but I would like to make sure that I do not have some rare model in my hands.
The bridge is a third party Floyd Rose Special, so I have no idea what tremolo was there originally. Also pickups do not have any branding on them, so I have no idea if someone changed them to some cheap aftermarket pickups.

Do you guys have any clue what this guitar might be?

Thank you very much.

Lucien

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I looked at this one as well and decided it was a resoncast body with aftermarket pickguard and pickups, the BX means black hardware, I have a 390GX which has gold hardware, it was probably a Japanese market only import. Nice wizard neck though and resoncast does ring like a bell, would have had V7,S1,V8 and a TRS trem originally like my 390 does. For £100 it's a decent score.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, what a small world it is, to find someone who was looking at the same auction. Are you positive that RG450 series used to be made of resoncast at some point? I could not find any solid info about it. It would make sense though, the guitar is considerably heavier than my other RG I used to have, which was basswood.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Resoncast was a 98/99 thing only, looking at the cavity you can see how smooth it is because the entire body is moulded in one go from an MDF type resin bonded fibre, there's no grain visible at all unless your photos or my eyes are terrible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I would tend to lean towards mismatched neck/body situation. Neck is from RG480AH, year and model name matches.

Body looks like Korean to me. I would say it's wood, you can see would peeking out here and there, and the grain is not amazing but looks kinda basswood-ish. And all my korean RGs had cavity covered in this black paint like here. Could you post a picture of jack and back of the body. But looking for similar name and taking hint from the neck pocket, I would say it could late 1990s RG450DX for example.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The body is Korean, because the bridge is a TRS. I can't tell what the pups are I don't know about white ones, but I know black ones have v7, v8 & s1 on them. If it was cheap enough, it's still a bargain. If it's a trs-1, it's a serviceable trem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts