Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first tube amp ever. I got it used, but it's new to me! Has Sovtek tubes in it and sounds wicked awesome compared to the Crate POS I was using for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Looking good! Played one of these the other day. Had ALMOST enough gain for my needs. It was seriously just a hair off. I bet it's a lot better cranked.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking good! Played one of these the other day. Had ALMOST enough gain for my needs. It was seriously just a hair off. I bet it's a lot better cranked.
Nothing an OD pedal couldn't fix. It took some tweaking but I get a nice crunch out of it. I'm also contemplating swapping out the stock Peavey speaker for an Eminence or Celestion. I've read numerous reviews about people liking the sound after the speaker change.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Theres plenty of things you can do to get better tones out of it. A tube screamer with the volume up and gain down sounds great. Also if you plug an empty jack into input 1 and your guitar into input 2 it improves the clarity as well. Also if your not using the fx loop put a small cable into the in and out as this activates the fx loop buffer. I was suprised how much of a difference all these little things did for mine.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres plenty of things you can do to get better tones out of it. A tube screamer with the volume up and gain down sounds great. Also if you plug an empty jack into input 1 and your guitar into input 2 it improves the clarity as well. Also if your not using the fx loop put a small cable into the in and out as this activates the fx loop buffer. I was suprised how much of a difference all these little things did for mine.
I'll definitely try these. I have a digitech rp300 going through the fx loop but it kinda sucks and totally changes the tone (even with no amp model).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts