Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After extensively listening to some more music i like the tone in, ive Kind of Decided of either Putting in a DiMarzio PAF Pro in my bridge, since i really like Paul Gilberts tone from both his Mr.Big Days, and Current Days. im just not sure if it can Handle other shred like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, DragonForce, as well as the 80's Hair Metal. Evolutions are too smooth for Bridge, though im getting one in the Neck.

Ive been recomended the breed and steves special, but im just not feeling the tone.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Absolutely not, the PAF Pro is only good for one kind of shred. When you install it there is a switch for Gilbert, Vai, Satch, DragonForce and 80s Hair Metal. You set the switch after the pickups is installed and it can never be moved after that.

·
Registered
563 Posts
LOL cid...

Elcid's just joking, and imho that was pretty good. Gave me a good laugh, something I haven't had in a while.

As for your question, the PAF Pro is VERY suited for ALL types of shred. The earliest JEMs and JSs actually came stock with PAF Pros; they're very articulate pickups and are probably one of the greatest choices for shred of all the pickups that DiMarzio offers. It's got all the tone you'd expect from a PAF-style pickup, but a bit brighter to handle not only ridiculous shredding but also high processing.

In other words, the PAF Pro is just fine for all types of shred. It can handle lots of distortion, as much as you pile on. The fact that it's a medium output pickup simply means, in the simplest of terms, that it won't kick your amp into overdrive as easily as, say, a Super Distortion. That also means that a Super Distortion can't be played clean. It just means that the higher the pickup, the easier it will be to put your amp into overdrive. Check out DiMarzio's FAQ for more detailed info on this:

http://dimarzio.com/site/#/faq/

then go to "Pickups FAQ," then "Technical Questions," and then scroll down, it'll explain the output thing in more depth.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, Thank you. I knew Elcid was Joking and i lol'd, just didnt exactly understand his point :p

The Output was confusing me. Dang Shredders and their high output...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts