Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings y'all

It's been a while since I last posted here. TBH I feel like a bit of a cheat coming here asking for help when it's been so long since I posted but I'm really hoping you guys can advise me on my latest 6 string woe.

My main gigging guitar is a 93 Hamer Diablo with a Schaller Floyd. Sweet sweet guitar but it has developed a problem which I cannot seem to pin down and its driving me mental.

Whenever I play the anything on the D and G strings around the 7th to the 9th fret there is a funny resonance coming from the bridge end of the guitar. It's not a buzzing as such (certainly not fret buzz) and can perhaps better be described as a vibration. Interestingly the problem disappears when I roll up a duster and put it in the trem's rear rout. Almost as if this damps whatever is vibrating.

What could this be and does anybody know how to fix it? Any help would be gratefully received.

BTW. I'm not going to rip the Schaller out and install an Edge before anyone suggests it! LOL;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sounds like sympathetic resonance of the trem springs. Putting cotton or some other kind of damper in the trem cavity, in contact with the springs, should eliminate the problem.

By the way, my Tremsetter's spring's resonant frequency is around B. Not very helpful on a 7-string tuned to low B! Luckily the Q of the resonance is low enough so that it doesn't resonate that loudly.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Another thing you can try is rolling up some duct tape and sticking it in the trem springs, or better rubber tubing. This gives you a bigger tone too. The trem may be a bit stiffer afterwards but not too bad.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I use foam cut it into neat blocks, and two sided tape to hold it in place. Ive had cotton and tissue paper get stuck in the springs when they are all the way open........dont know how much of a problem this is, but foam seems to work better. I also have to dampon on some of my guitars, the frequencies *behind teh locking nut*, i have several guitars with a strip of foam here too.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I had a similar issue, I phoned my tech, we talked about it, he said bring it in no, no problem etc.

Then I tried tightening the trem arm, and realised that I am a fool. No day in which you learn soemthing can be considered truly wasted.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i get spring resonance too and when i get my guitar back together i intent to put a foam strip on the cover to touch on them . should stop it .i have never really noticed it with the amp on just when i pratice unplugged.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep good old spring resonance. My DK2 has it, as well as my cornet's middle valve whenever I play a B natural. Heck even my eardrum starts vibrating when I loudly sing the harmony part in the chorus on "Crazy Train".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.