Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reecently bought a Jackson Fusion from **** and the previous owner glued the neck into the neck pocket. I didn't know this at the time of the auction and he didn't include that info in the description. I found out when I attempted to remove the neck. I emailed the previous owner and he said he used titebond glue. Is there any way i can remove the neck without hurting the neck or body? Basically it's now a set in neck. There are no sustain issues and no noticable gaps anywhere in the neck pocket. It fits like a glove. I just can't stand the color and it needs to be refinished.

Does anyone make a product that would help break the bond the glue has on the neck and body without damage, or is this gonna be a hammer and chisel job?

·
Registered
804 Posts
just take out the neck screws and give the back of the neck a pop with your hand and it should break the bond ( obviously don't pop it hard enough to break the neck)

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Hmmm good luck with that. You could also potentially get a screw driver or something and after removing the screws put the screw driver in the holes and tap each of them with a hammer (not too hard). Hopefully it might break the bond. Titebond is pretty tough stuff though, and you may not have much luck getting the neck and body apart.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys, I got it. I heated the glue joint with a hair dryer and it weakened the glue joint. Then I just whacked the back of the neck with my hand and the neck popped rite off. Now I just have to clean up the remaining glue from the neck heel and the neck pocket. The current color is a weird reddish-pink color and it reminds me of vomit for some reason. I was thinking of painting it that line on the road yellow with black hardware. I think the color is called desert sun yellow. Either that or do another fabric-top finish like I did on my Rg321. Pics of the Rg321 are available on here so u can search for em under my screen name if u'd like.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That's funny! I'm redoing my friends nice mid 80s reddish pink vomit color jem jet black. I'm just spraying gloss black right over the pink. I'll go check out your pics

Some people and their tightbond, is the increase in sustain worth the PITA when it comes to fretwork, or potentially neck/body replacement? Bolt on's are good!!!

G

1 - 5 of 5 Posts