Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm all but decided that my bridge pickup for my 1990 RG550 will be a Tone Zone (close runner ups include AT-1 and Air Zone).

For my neck I want FAT, and smooth, but not compressed. For example I've used a Liquifire (granted it was in mahogany) and it was too compressed/modern sounding for me.

The Pickup Picker consistently points me to Liquifire (no thanks I think, but I could be swayed to try it in basswood), Air Norton, and PAF 36th Anniversary Neck.

The Air Norton piques my interest but I'm concerned it'll be too compressed/hi-fi sounding. I like a warm, furry sound as opposed to a hi-fi or even fizzy (Classic Satriani) tone. Also concerned the PAF 36th wouldn't do well next to the Tone Zone.

Input and experience appreciated!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have heard similar complaints about the LiquiFire and it almost dissueded me from trying it... However I gave it a shot and it has become my favorite neck pup in basswood & Alder. I have them in 2 Jems, an Alder and a basswood bodied, and I absolutely love them. However its obviously subjective...

For a more "raw" sound, but still warm & articulate I really like the SD Pearly Gates neck. In the DiMarzio line the Air Norton neck always gets rave reviews but I have no personal experience with it. I have used PAF Pro neck & it was a great pup also... I just liked the LiquiFire better. The Breed is supposed to be somewhere in between a PAF Pro & an EVO... A little more raw & grittier than a PAF but not as compressed as an EVO.

For what its worth. Good hunting dude!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have an air norton in my ibanez S470, and it's beautiful for lead playing. I was looking for something that kind of flowed my notes together and it delivered exactly what i wanted! It gets a bit mushy when playing chords on the low strings though, but that's what i have my evo in the bridge for :)

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
I'm sure you won't consider it because it's traditionally a bridge pickup, but the Norton DP160 is an amazingly expressive and open pup in the neck. It's output is also a very good match for the Tone Zone. DiMarzio calls it a mix of the Tone Zone and the PAF, but in reality, it's more a mix of an Air Norton with the "flavor" of a TZ.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I absolutely WILL consider it! Out of the box can flop sometimes, but sometimes it's great.

Yeah my concern with the Fred, which I've been leaning toward (thanks Sebastian), is that it's not FAT enough for my liking. Honestly I could care less if a pickup is still crisp and clear in the lower registers. I'm a rock, blues and somewhat metal player, but no shredder. My first DiMarzio was a Humbucker from Hell, and I can't stand it because it's so thin. Sure it's clear as a bell... but it's just not what a neck pickup is supposed to be, to me.

So Breed neck sounded good too... but I like this Norton idea. I've read it's like a cross between a Fred and a Tone Zone.

Anyone else ever used a Norton in the neck?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts