Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
uhggg.
Anyone have any advice on what to do? Should I pull the guitar apart an have an electronics whiz (who knows nothing of guitars) take a look to see if there's a loose wire? Or do I seek professional help?

I'm really worried I'm going to have to buy a new pickup, which I don't want to do. When I tap the pickup with my pick (amp on) I don't hear any thud coming through the amp, unless the middle pickup is set to on as well (pickup selector in second to last position). Then you can hear something. Otherwise, with the selector set to just neck, you hear no thud when u tap the pickup, and when you play with the Neck pickup only, the guitar sounds like you've rolled the volume down 60% unstead of the heavy smooth distortion. Loses most of its distortive qualities.

Uhggg.

Any advice would help
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds to me a wire is loose somewhere, I would believe it's the ground one, or the hot one, not the middle ones.
I've seen Ibanez wire them two different ways, sometimes the Green is ground and red is hot, then the black and white are solder together to split the humbucker.
The other way is the opposite, which means that green and red is solder together for the split.

Anyway I would believe there's only the HOT or Cold that is loose, and the middle ones are ok.

An electronic whiz should be able to help you out.
Check out the tech section of www.ibanezrules.com to remove the bridge if you want to do that. then you don't have to remove the strings from your guitar.

If your guitar is new, and under warranty, then go directly to the shop.
good luck

Tony

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
it doesn't take an electronics whiz to do guitar wiring. Take off the pickguard and see if there's anything visibly loose back there. If there is, dab a hot soldering iron on it. shouldn't be a huge deal.

Buying a new pickup isn't the end of the world either.

~K

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha...true.

Of course, the question was whether dimarzio cares or not, not whether its actually broken or whether I'd have to pull out other wires.
I'm inquiring on their business policy here.

best to call them i guess.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
I'm sure they'd test it. if it's broken, they'll send you a new one and an invoice for $25. If it tests OK, they'll send you the same one and an invoice for $25.

That's what I'd do anyway. :lol:

Seriously though, if the guitar isn't over 10 years old, i'd bet on a loose wire.

~K

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kennydoe said:
I'm sure they'd test it. if it's broken, they'll send you a new one and an invoice for $25. If it tests OK, they'll send you the same one and an invoice for $25.

That's what I'd do anyway. :lol:

Seriously though, if the guitar isn't over 10 years old, i'd bet on a loose wire.

~K
me too.

I guess I'm a little nervous about removing the pickup. But, there's a first time for everything, and I may as well be now :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sounds like you wouldn't have to remove the pickup - just to resolder a wire somewhere or to change the selector switch.
First thing to do is to take the scratchplate off and if there's nothing disonnected try the pickup on it's own, if it works order a replacement selector switch from Rich, if it doesn't email DiMarzio for advice......
Pickups rarelly die without a proper reason (swap/massive drop) whereas selector switches do.....

ilia

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
With a massive drop in volume I'd say that for whatever reason when you select the neck pickup it only engages the split coil with the logo on it so you end up having the lower powered side of the humbucker on.
It could be the pickup but I'd consider the selector switch or a disconnected wire somewhere, seems like when you go to neck position the selector switch does not engage the other side of the humbucker, only the side that is active in position 4 (or 2??) and as these functions are split within the connector switch so you can have position 2 and 4 I'd say short of a disconnected wire the switch would be my main suspect.

ilia

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I removed the bridge and had my dad take it from there. I went to work, and he tried to remove the pickup without removing the pickguard to see if it was connected....

And of course, he stopped short because the neck pickup wouldn't come out very far. now the springs that accompany the screws for the pickup won't go back into their place and their sitting on the floor.

So in short, I still have no idea how what's wrong with my guitar, and my guitar is completely back together, but without the springs for the neck pickup LOL

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit more detail on what to do.

I guess I should be removing the pickguard, but to do that, it looks like I'll have to remove the screws for all of the pickups, which may mean the same thing happening with the spring/screw for the bridge pickup.

Also, another question is how do I get that spring back in its place? LOL

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay, I removed the pickguard and was able to put the springs back in place!

I checked the wiring, and was pretty amazed to find that there were several wires under there that had no home....that is, they just sit loose (one end isn't attached to anything at all, and no wire sticks out of the rubber casing).

I don't know if its normal or not, although I suspect it is, unless 4 wires came loose at the same time....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.