Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a mahogany guitar with a maple neck/fingerboard and a floating floyd. I currently have a ToneZone in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck. I'm happy with the ToneZone, but the PAF Pro isn't doing it for me. I'm looking to get a good shred tone on the neck pickup ala Becker or Gilbert, but the PAF Pro always seems to flab out. I played a JEM DNA and I liked the neck pickup in that guitar. It got me close to what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By the way, I'm playing through a Marshall TSL100.

Thanks, Vlad

·
Registered
383 Posts
Gilbert uses a PAF Pro in the Neck. The DNA is a Breed.

Try an Evo Neck, it's modeled after the Breed II neck. Should be a good match for the TZ.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Gilbert uses the Humbucker from hell in the Neck not the Paf Pro. Try the Air Zone or Evo in the bridge is you want more grunt.

Personally I use the TZ and Air Norton in my Ash RG and I think it is a great combo.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
pinto79 said:
Try an Evo Neck, it's modeled after the Breed II neck
What on Earth is a Breed II ??? Evo's were availble before the Breed pickups IIRC so i'm not sure what you talking about,You have well and truley confused myself !!!

_on-topic_

If the Paf-Pro isn't quite doing it i'd look for some brighter,Less middley perhaps,Not a Breed or Evo ... Air-Zone?

Rob

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Rob
What on Earth is a Breed II ??? Evo's were availble before the Breed pickups IIRC so i'm not sure what you talking about,You have well and truley confused myself !!!
I'm not sure, because I'm also confused. There was once a pickup conversation where someone was commenting on the "2-ness" of a pickup. Don't know if it was Breed 2 or Blaze 2, as that pickup never had an original (i.e. the "1"). Dimarzio renamed it to just Breed or Blaze.

·
Registered
304 Posts
RSVampire said:
Gilbert has used both Humbucker From Hell and Paf Pro pickups, as well as many other dimarzio pickups.
I put a Humbucker from Hell and PAF Pro into my MMM1 (mahogany body) and it's a nice combo. Very, very nice clean sounds, but I think a lot of people would want something hotter in the bridge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts