Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Good Evening.
Would you consider these cracks to be worrying ????
is it in color or is it believed that it is also in wood ??? this is a used js 1000 1998 that I want to buy.
I think it is common with the basswood bodies, my 2008 JS1200 has the same cracks. Some say they are just in the finish, but I think you would have to remove the neck to know for sure. I have not had any issues and the cracks have not gotten any bigger in the few years that I have owned the JS1200.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally, because of my lack of knowledge on that, and because I wouldn't know for sure if it was the finish or the wood. moreover because its the neck joint. It would definitely sway my decision to purchase or at least be a contributing factor. But guys like fireeagle who are more experienced and confident with things like that are probably safe to listen to.

·
Registered
437 Posts
99% of the time its just the paint.

Basswood is quite soft and pliable; catalyzed urethane? Not so much. I suspect it happens over time when we lean our guitars or bump them by the neck. This is a slight exaggeration, but should get the point across. I'd think it be more common to happen when you "bump" the guitar one way or the other.

That said, I've refinished quite a few square heels with neck cracks, entirely just the paint every time. Not saying it wont ever be an actual "crack" but its not really common. At this point, I'd say its probably more common to have those cracks than not.

Personally, because of my lack of knowledge on that, and because I wouldn't know for sure if it was the finish or the wood. moreover because its the neck joint. It would definitely sway my decision to purchase or at least be a contributing factor. But guys like fireeagle who are more experienced and confident with things like that are probably safe to listen to.
Its honestly not a huge deal; should be considered aesthetic in most cases. If its a concern you could always take the neck off and have a look.

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
I'm of the opposite opinion. I believe 99% of the time it's the wood. There's no reason the paint would crack in a specific spot unless the wood cracked underneath, and I don't believe you'll ever see a hairline crack in anything when you sand it down.

Basswood has very straight grain, soft, and extremely low resin, and very prone to cracking for those reasons. Though we've all seen cracks on alder and mahogany, I don't believe any wood is immune. In the end, it's a common occurance and virtually expected especially on older guitars. IMO it's mostly shock related, from shipping, dropping a case, etc.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm of the opposite opinion. I believe 99% of the time it's the wood. There's no reason the paint would crack in a specific spot unless the wood cracked underneath, and I don't believe you'll ever see a hairline crack in anything when you sand it down.

Basswood has very straight grain, soft, and extremely low resin, and very prone to cracking for those reasons. Though we've all seen cracks on alder and mahogany, I don't believe any wood is immune. In the end, it's a common occurance and virtually expected especially on older guitars. IMO it's mostly shock related, from shipping, dropping a case, etc.

And as I stated, I've refinished dozens of these things, I've never had one be a wood crack. Not saying that its "never the wood", but in my (albeit anecdotal) experience thats definitely not the norm.

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
I've had them in mahogany against the gain, when I said 99% of the time, I'm talking about basswood, but any wood is prone to finish cracking in that spot, I believe in basswood it's in the wood. In my position I'd rather state a worst case scenario than the hopeful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I mean, if we are splitting hairs. (haha) the only way to REALLY know would be to remove the paint and check under that, not just the inside of the neck joint... a hairline crack doesn't always have to show all the way through to the other side such as seen in Greenstick and linear fractures, not every crack has to be what we usually imagine such as those compound, compression or transverse in nature.
but no one is stripping paint off a guitar before they buy it. so.
I'm also kinda spitballing. knowledgeable-ish, but terribly inexperienced and unprofessional over here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so it should be considered a negative factor for buying a used guitar and if you can not open the neck pocket, it will be a big risk to buy this guitar ...
I am wrong;

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
I mean, if we are splitting hairs. (haha) the only way to REALLY know would be to remove the paint and check under that, not just the inside of the neck joint... a hairline crack doesn't always have to show all the way through to the other side such as seen in Greenstick and linear fractures, not every crack has to be what we usually imagine such as those compound, compression or transverse in nature.
but no one is stripping paint off a guitar before they buy it. so.
I'm also kinda spitballing. knowledgeable-ish, but terribly inexperienced and unprofessional over here.
I don't believe you would see the hairline crack after you stripped it. It's not like the paint was wet and seeped into the crack when it cracked to make it show when you strip the finish off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
it sounds like a cop out but I think its a gamble like other things in life, personal experience, opinion, and preference are huge factors I think, as illustrated by Bob and Rich having two 99% opposite opinions here on this thread. If I were looking at that, I would play it safe and steer clear unless its a deal and it was worth it, or a super rare piece, or even if you have magic powers to fix it/do something cool with it.
so It depends on purpose too I guess, there are situations where I would absolutely buy it. However, I would hope for the best and plan for the worst in any situation where I was buying a guitar with something I was concerned about.

unless its a big box retailer, Which even then can catch you off guard. but that's why you keep the receipts. lol. less danger there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't believe you would see the hairline crack after you stripped it. It's not like the paint was wet and seeped into the crack when it cracked to make it show when you strip the finish off.
^
see?... Rich has a point here. I've never worked with cracked neck joints. just one i smashed at a basement show and drilled back together with wood screws... plays beautifully now. (it was an epi, dont freak out)

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
An 88' FP with a neck pocket crack may get a small discount over one without, considering 2 guitars in the exact same condition otherwise. But nobody is not buying an 88' FP because it has a crack. They're literally expected on old basswood guitars and just a bonus if they're not.

·
Registered
437 Posts
^
see?... Rich has a point here. I've never worked with cracked neck joints. just one i smashed at a basement show and drilled back together with wood screws... plays beautifully now. (it was an epi, dont freak out)
We only disagree on whats happening under the crack, but Im pretty sure both of us will testify to god, humanity, and the flying spaghetti monster that most of the time these things are not structural, they are super common, and they really shouldnt dissuade you from a purchase of a guitar you really enjoy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its actually strange, now that you mention this. In person, I see absolutely NOTHING. After posting the image and scrolling through and seeing where the crack "Was" and where its at now, it almost looks like a witness line??? Like theres nothing there, Im sitting here with it in my hands and I dont see a damn thing lol, but in that photo theres "something" going on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
is there any way to understand if the crack is in the paint or has it been transferred to the wood ??
only a technician can tell us for sure ??
has an impact on the final price of the guitar ??

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
Tell Steve that EVO's isn't structural. But it's been beaten to death on tour for near 30 years. If it's in the wood it's structural, but 90% of the time it cracks, and never changes. But I've had JS's with a crack all the way down the back past the trem cover.

·
Vendor
26,331 Posts
Its actually strange, now that you mention this. In person, I see absolutely NOTHING. After posting the image and scrolling through and seeing where the crack "Was" and where its at now, it almost looks like a witness line??? Like theres nothing there, Im sitting here with it in my hands and I dont see a damn thing lol, but in that photo theres "something" going on.
The picture is 5x life size. Try looking at it with a 30x loupe, I have to use one to diagnose alot of finish issues on new guitars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts