Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on old RG with the common neck pocket cracks found on older guitars. From what I can tell, they are only cracks in the finish and not actually in the wood.

My question is, are these cracks actually structural problems or just appearance defects? If they are just cracks in the finish, I don't really care because I don't plan on selling the guitar and I'm more concerned about playability, but if they are an actual concern structurally, I would like to repair them....

Thanks in advance!

Registered
Sometimes yes.
Sometimes no.

If it is just in the finish it's cosmetic only. The small common ones are often this.

But they can be deeper into the wood. Small cracks in the wood will still be stable but the deeper they get the worse.

If buying an expensive ibanez online ask to see photos. And if there are finish cracks ask to see photos of inside the neck pocket to check the wood is intact.

Oh and best to avoid holding bolt on guitars at an angle by their neck as this can put pressure on the joint. Get in the habit of holding the top horn instead or invest in a guitar with a convenient handle carved into the body 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sometimes yes.
Sometimes no.

If it is just in the finish it's cosmetic only. The small common ones are often this.

But they can be deeper into the wood. Small cracks in the wood will still be stable but the deeper they get the worse.

If buying an expensive ibanez online ask to see photos. And if there are finish cracks ask to see photos of inside the neck pocket to check the wood is intact.

Oh and best to avoid holding bolt on guitars at an angle by their neck as this can put pressure on the joint. Get in the habit of holding the top horn instead or invest in a guitar with a convenient handle carved into the body 馃槈
After learning this a while back always run the habit of holding my guitars vertical, until I put on the strap, and then tilt it over with the body.
Here is an image of the neck pocket crack:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Bumper

The good thing I am seeing is that the crack does no protrude all the way to the corner of the neck pocket (Stops in the over saturated area of the image). The next time I have the strings off, I will inspect the wood deeper in to check the wood itself. The crack is so hairline, that I can barely even feel it with my nail.

Would I be safe to assume the cracks are safe for the next few months until it's next service?

Registered
Ive personally seen far worse cracks on brand new Ibanez coming out the factory in the past few years.

Clearances are very tight which causes an issue with the wood expanding and contracting, since basswood and maple are different species they will want to expand and contract at different rates. This means the weak link (the paint) is the one that takes a hit first. If you search Google images of Fender and also Ibanez neck pocket cracks it should put your mind at rest with regards to yours.

While i dont have a crystal ball and im not a guitar tech, i would be willing to bet my entire net worth that your body is 100% solid and is only suffering cosmetic issues, as stated though, each individual case is different and all you can do is wait until you take the neck off for confirmation. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive personally seen far worse cracks on brand new Ibanez coming out the factory in the past few years.

Clearances are very tight which causes an issue with the wood expanding and contracting, since basswood and maple are different species they will want to expand and contract at different rates. This means the weak link (the paint) is the one that takes a hit first. If you search Google images of Fender and also Ibanez neck pocket cracks it should put your mind at rest with regards to yours.

While i dont have a crystal ball and im not a guitar tech, i would be willing to bet my entire net worth that your body is 100% solid and is only suffering cosmetic issues, as stated though, each individual case is different and all you can do is wait until you take the neck off for confirmation. (y)
I did end up searching up some images. I'd have to say I'm much more comfortable now. Ill check the neck pocket the next time I remove the strings. If I don't find anything, It doesn't bother me at all

Registered
My RG 550 had a small semi-circular neck pocket crack when I purchased it new. It turned out to be finish only. No big deal.

I have a modestly priced Strat style guitar that is 4 years old. It had a small neck pocket crack. I replaced the neck last year with a Warmoth roasted maple with SS frets. The crack chipped off at the time. Now you can the the wood underneath. So what? It is a cheap guitar. It isn't worth as much as the Warmoth neck. But, it sounds good and is fun to play.

None of my Ibanez Prestige guitars have ever had a neck pocket crack. (Knock on wood. ;) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.