Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an Ibanez fan and a "beginner luthier":smile_big:. I've had a wizard 25,5" scale length 24fret neck laying there waiting for a body. Putting it side by side with a JEM neck, it's identical. So i ordered a raw basswood body from ebay, which looked so much like an RG body in the pictures, that i completely ignored that the title said "JS style" and assumed that it must be a copy of an RG but of course it wasn't the case.:plain:

The selling page said that it needs a 25,5" 24 fret neck. So i received the body and i tried to fit the neck in the pocket and noticed that the neck sits about a centimeter further from the bridge than in my RG and JEM guitars. Measured from the 24th fret to the saddle where the string is attached. I looked at some pictures of 24 fret JS guitars which are advertised as 25,5" scale length. I compared them with a JEM picture and the neck really seems to be a little further from the bridge in the JS guitars.

Is the JS 25,5" 24 fret neck somehow different from the RG/JEM necks or what is the deal in here? Can i fit the neck in to the body without getting a huge intonation problem?

Thank you and sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely they sent you a 22 fret JS body.
It doesn't look like JS. When i look at it in person, it doesn't look like an RG either. It's a bad mixture of them both. And the craftsmanship is also bad. Overall this is a bad purchase and i was about to contact the seller that it doesn't fit a 24fret neck, but i did some photo measurements on a JS guitar and it seems to me that the neck actually sits a little further in js guitar than jems and rg's. It's hard since i don't own any JS guitars and was hoping if someone here could help. I could make it work if i could attach the neck in to it without intonation problems.

I'd post a link but i can't because it seems to require 5 posts or more and this is my second here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for answering. I contacted the seller and it turns out that the body requires a neck that has an overlapping at fretboard after last fret. The thing that confused me was that they are also selling a "JEM style body" with almost the same price. And this "JS style" body is not even copying a ibanez body. I suppose it's jackson style or whatnot. I'm not gonna butcher my wizard neck for this. I'll try to send it back and get a refund.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Just get a refund and buy another body. You could get it to fit by making a hang over shelf on the heel but why go to all that trouble ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts