Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, today I went onto vrg builder and it only gives me a 403 error and doens't allow me to build anything. Is it just a temporary error?

Also I wanted to get recommendations from you guys on what to do to my JemDBK. I love the old rg neck on it (apart from me needing to put a dowel in 1 of the bolt holes, and it having a little bit of fretwear) but I have been thinking about getting a custom neck for the thing, doweling the hole and using this neck on my rg2570 body I have in storage.

I'm not 100% on if I can or will buy the neck but I wanted to know what custom shop, woods, inlay and inlay color you guys think would be sweet.

I only know of ET guitars for a good jem neck but I sort of want SS frets (as long as it doesn't cost TOO much) or a neck volute which I don't think ET does either. EDIT: They do do SS frets
Also I was thinking a regular maple neck with either a maple fb or ebony fb to retain snappiness, but I'm not sure if ebony would be too dark on top of the already dark guitar. I sort of want the pearl/abalone vine but on maple it may be too light, so I could do a plastic color like red to match the pups. I was also thinking maybe some disappearing pyramids but I've lusted over the vine inlay for so long it makes it a hard choice.

Please help me out, you guys always make sweet custom jem's so I figure someone may have a cool idea!

Here are some pics, my neck pup is now red/black with the red coil being towards the neck. (I couldn't find a liquifire in all red when they just came out and I was a can't waiter =P)

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I love it! Talk to Chris at Mai-Guitar--he does necks also. Concerning the VRG Builder--There's a thread about it in the Forum Announcements section, but no explanation of it's absence. I hope it comes back up.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah I forgot about Mai-Guitar, thank you!

It seems like a lot of people love the look and feel of this guitar, that is the only reason I am still hesitant on a custom neck; however, if I get the neck with a more neutral vine color like pearl/abalone then it could be used for other bodies or even a full custom jem I could finish later if I decide the dbk body shouldn't part with the 550 neck.

Opinions?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now that's one thing we don't see everyday. My main guitar is just like that, H-H and volume only. And I don't miss the tone knob at all.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Believe it or not, a solid black pickguard from a certain banner above instead of black-white-black increases the mids a lot.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
Believe it or not, a solid black pickguard from a certain banner above instead of black-white-black increases the mids a lot.
Huh??? How would a non-triple ply guard increase the mids? Should still be the same amount of plastic involved. I see you're from Brazil--are you related to Treva? I was expecting some dino-DNA comment to go with that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Huh??? How would a non-triple ply guard increase the mids? Should still be the same amount of plastic involved. I see you're from Brazil--are you related to Treva? I was expecting some dino-DNA comment to go with that.
When I ordered it from Thomas, I thought it was going to be the same material except for plain black, but it ended up being thicker and harder :roll: with round edges. It took me like 5 seconds to notice the difference.

I don't know him personally but I've read that he lives near the stadium where Iron Maiden played in April or May this year; he menctioned something about being able to hear the soundcheck from his place. It's around 20 minutes by car from where I live.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
There aren't any jemsiters 20 mins from me :( .... /OT

Nice guitar man!!! MAIGuitar would be a nice option, as has been mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts